Thread: Looking For Advise For Potential Ownership

Default Looking For Advise For Potential Ownership

ALL POG Members:
    My name is Steve and live in WV. Recently, my wife and I have decided that motorcoach ownership might be a great way of sharing quality time with our ever-expanding family, explore places we always wanted and generally slow down a bit. Still working (as most are!) this would allow us long weekends and planned vacations so full time RVing is not in the mix (not yet at least!)\

So, the big question and you have gone through it is how to take the "big leap" I know enough that towing, 5th wheel and the standard Winnebago platforms are not what we want (although fine and good for others). How did you decide on the Prevost?

What is the average cost of ownership? (understand that is contingent upon residence, as WV has personal property tax which is an issue, insurance liability amounts/deductibles, cost for DMV) I currently have availability for indoor parking (although not climate controlled, access to electric and guard secured). Access to a heavy-duty truck mechanic and parts (tires, batteries, oil, filters, Detroit Diesel engine work). In most cases that is a problem, but not here and I feel fortunate. I guess I put the cart before the horse!!But at least I have a place to put the horse (when I get one)

I am currently considering a 1992 Prevost XL Angola Conversion, low miles and looks great from the picture. Have had email and text contact with the representative and I feel comfortable with the dialog. Would you all feel comfortable looking at a 25-year-old platform? I for one am not that concerned being in the trucking business I realize that its how well the equipment is maintained that means the difference between trouble and "less trouble". Also, preventative maintenance is key (I currently drive a VW Jetta diesel with 4ooK in it and have no plans to retire it). However, not having a Prevost Service Center in WV is cause for concern.

Any guidance you might throw my way I would very much appreciate (books, posts, video). Basically, getting a feel for the water so to speak but want to make an informed decision. Trying to make it to Fl next month to look and ask questions, might be a great opportunity to have them answered.

Thank you again for your time and patience with the "newbie" Hope to repay it someday to another.......

Best Regards,
    Steve

Steve,

Enjoy the journey. Both in your quest for the perfect coach and memory making once you own that perfect coach.

Cost of ownership, focused just on the maintaining coach and it's systems can be all over the map. It really comes down to past maintenance, care, and how close periodic replacement items are coming due for replacement. Some items can be expensive, like tires. These are million mile chassis, so expect a well maintained 25 year old coach to still give years of use. Given you are looking at a 92, you will be looking at a 8V92 powered coach. I'm not that knowledgeable on the 2 cycle Detroits. I think most would tell you that you don't have to steer clear of that engine, but if your budget can get you into a 94/95 with a Series 60 you are making a better choice. 8V92 mechanics are getting harder to find.

What is on your want and needs list? That can help. As for Angola, they made some nice conversions. They, like many others, are out of business, However, that shouldn't be a deterrent given these were simple conversions with little if any need for specific Angola information.

Many charter bus operators are experienced with Prevost coaches and many do accept outside work. So, being in WV should not be that big of a deal.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks Gil. I owened several trucks (1995 Internationals) wiith the S60 DDC4 ECM. True, an outstanding engine (until on one of the trucks a wrist pin broke and the engine beat itself to death!).

The 92 im looking at has a S60, having driven a 318 in the past, I know of the issues.

Any advise when I go to look at it it? Run all the systems? Test drive for sure.

Again, want to get into one that I’m sure I can get out of if needed. Feeling more comfortable everyday on the purchase

Thanks,
    Steve

Check house batteries , inverters , fresh water pump, holding tanks and dumps. Converter installed heat and AC systems. Hot water heater, electrical outlets, appliances and tv’s. Most of these could be in need of upgrades or repairs. Make yourself a list with upgrade costs that You know You will want to do after inspecting it. And then do the math and look around at other coach’s that do not need all the upgrades. If it needs tires air bags , shocks and brake work done along with pneumatic work on the suspension. You could easily be spending 50 K on a coach that old to get it in good shape. ( Take some of that off if you do all the labor ) Has the coach been stored inside or out in the weather most of its life ? Check for leaks in the roof. Probably time for the roof to be re-coated and sealed if it has not been done. The XL’s are notorious for their Drivers fixed window and the entrance door fixed window fogging up between the double panes. Sounds like You might have a good head start on most other new owners in the mechanical and maintenance aspect. There is a wealth of knowledge here in the archives, Due diligence is wise on your part. Educate yourself and look at several would be my advise. And of course ask questions here. Prevost owners are always most helpful to others entering the madness !

Gone Crazy:
    without a doubt is "buyer beware". I give credit for age and usage. I will take your great advice, it will be an experience for sure. I hope to be in FL and take the time to ask questions and get a "hands-on" regarding to operation. Having never stepped foot in one, but admired from afar, it will be fun just being there (worth the price of admission as they say!) Will you be there?

Steve,

Look me up at the show.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by para55a View Post
    Gone Crazy:
    without a doubt is "buyer beware". I give credit for age and usage. I will take your great advice, it will be an experience for sure. I hope to be in FL and take the time to ask questions and get a "hands-on" regarding to operation. Having never stepped foot in one, but admired from afar, it will be fun just being there (worth the price of admission as they say!) Will you be there?
    I admired these elegant beasts for many years while traveling the country as a working contractor. Said to myself, “ One of these days I’m gonna have Me one .” WARNING ; Once You drive one , there is no turning back ! No Sir I will not be at the show, Maybe next year. However I suspect that the price range of the coach’s that will be there will be between 500K - and 2 Mil. The difference in the one You are looking at and the ones at the show will be light years. Of course there might be some private owners there with older ones for sale. And owners of older coach’s attending that you could learn from. Gil will hook you up. Have fun and Be SAFE !