Thread: 8v92/DDEC II Problem

Hybrid View

I have a Pro-Link to read the codes. This issue does not set a code and I don't have any historical codes either. The lights don't stay on long enough to get the Pro-Link on it. They will go out if you back out of the throttle and then get back on - which is what you need to do to get to the side of the road. Good idea though, I'm going to take the Pro-link out and have it ready and maybe I'll be able to have it happen when it is safe to get to the side of the road without touching the gas pedal.....

I have plenty of coolant, and am pretty sure the level sensor is working properly - I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets two weekends ago and the CEL/SEL was on when the coolant was drained, and off when it was refilled. I could jump it next time it starts happening and see if that helps.

As for the TPS, I was thinking that it may have something to do with the problem. However, when the problem originally started the symptoms would only happen when the cruise control was engaged. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever let it go to see what would happen if I didn't step on the gas. Once again, at 21 years old, replacing it and keeping the old one as a spare might not be a bad idea.

The three lights come on just like they do when you turn on the ignition, and stay on for about that length of time. That's why I have been chasing the possibilities in the ignition/engine run circuits.

Keep the ideas coming!!

Donnie_M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stevet903 View Post
    I have a Pro-Link to read the codes. This issue does not set a code and I don't have any historical codes either. The lights don't stay on long enough to get the Pro-Link on it. They will go out if you back out of the throttle and then get back on - which is what you need to do to get to the side of the road. Good idea though, I'm going to take the Pro-link out and have it ready and maybe I'll be able to have it happen when it is safe to get to the side of the road without touching the gas pedal.....

I have plenty of coolant, and am pretty sure the level sensor is working properly - I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets two weekends ago and the CEL/SEL was on when the coolant was drained, and off when it was refilled. I could jump it next time it starts happening and see if that helps.

As for the TPS, I was thinking that it may have something to do with the problem. However, when the problem originally started the symptoms would only happen when the cruise control was engaged. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I ever let it go to see what would happen if I didn't step on the gas. Once again, at 21 years old, replacing it and keeping the old one as a spare might not be a bad idea.

The three lights come on just like they do when you turn on the ignition, and stay on for about that length of time. That's why I have been chasing the possibilities in the ignition/engine run circuits.

Keep the ideas coming!!
    TPS will almost always set a code. Check the "priority" of the "low coolant" sensor code with the Pro Link. See if it is set to "shut down" when detected. Be real careful as that series is prone to ECM failure. You might go to start it and it will just crank over with out starting.