Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Slide Seal

Russ, Thanks, That's a huge help. Best,

When we replaced the King's seal I took sections to see if I could find a supplier that would make them and sell direct to POG members. I was stopped dead in my tracks when I found different coaches have different seal dimensions and different inlet locations.

The Prevost seals are essentially 2 extrusions, the outer wiper portion into which is keyed the inner bladder or inflatible portion. I suspect there are numerous extruders of these shapes so the challenge is in finding a fabricator that can make 90 degree corners to the correct radius and then join the four straight sections to the four corners so the overall dimensions are correct. Then the hose needs to be located and bonded to the bladder. I seriously doubt that in any reasonable quantity the seals would cost over $2000 as they are currently priced. The fly in the ointment is the material must be correct for the application, and the supplier has to stand behind the seals. An expert on these types of materials would need to be a part of this.

I think the members of POG who have coaches with slide seals need to get togather, maybe creating a separate thread for a head count and discuss how to get a supplier for XX slide seals. It will not be without effort for the members to develop the necessary information. Slides will have to be retracted so dimensions can be established, including the location of the supply tube. but once this is done and a data base constructed to sort out the data I believe owners of Prevost, Newell, and Bluebird coaches can buy seals for less than their current price. Installing a seal, once the slide room is retractied is really quite easy. I think if any POG members want to pursue this that Roger, or Jim Keller or I would be willing to insert our two cents to help those who have never even considered this understand it is not a real big deal.

One of the benefits of POG is that people who have the same interests and problems can joiun forces and address those topics in such a manner that they are no longer problems but opportunities. This is one example.

According to their Web site, the seals come from the aircraft industry. I would also check with Valid.
    Here's another company;http://www.trimlok.com/
    Last edited by garyde; 08-26-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

David,

I tried buying a seal directly from SealMaster and they wouldn't sell directly to me. They said I had to buy directly from one of their suppliers (Newell).

I am sure that Newell would sell you a seal. Call Chuck Clark in parts. 1-888-9NEWELL.

Like Jon said it is not that difficult to change a seal.

Good Luck.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Thanks for the help. In fact yesterday I spoke with Chuck in parts - great guy, very helpful, and good prices too. The trouble is, I need to see if the Newell seal will fit the HWH-style air seal track that we have in our LXi Wanderlodges. I'm taking some measurements of my track and I'll call Newell Tech Support on Monday to see if they have any detailed numbers for their seal. Of course my seal is 480" around and the Newell seal is 495" so I'd have to cut it to fit and then use the 'splice kit' to connect the ends to form a loop. Do you know anything about the 'splice kit'? Chuck said it was a plate of steel, a nut insert, and a bolt, and that once spliced air can pass thru the spliced area and the seal can expand at the splice creating a weather tight seal. I'm mystified as to how this works! The backup plan is to gather 15 or so orders and approach Seal Master directly for a custom seal.
    Last edited by travelite; 08-27-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling.

David,

I have ordered a seal from Newell in anticipation of replacing the one around my bedroom slide. As you noted, they come in only one standard length and you just cut to fit your opening. I will have extra left and would be glad to send you pictures or even a sample if you like. My undersatnding is that our seals glue in place. I like the sound of yours fitting in a track. I am doubtful however that the glue in type would work in your track, but who knows. I hope you can get enough folks interested to cut a deal for custom seals directily from SealMaster. Later, Russ ' 99 Newell

The Prevost seal consists of 4 straight sections and 4 90 degree corners whose radius matches that of the slide and the frame around the slide.

Those seals have 8 joints therefore that are bonded or vulcanized so the seal is one continuous rectangular loop. The seal can be inflated and there will be no loss of air pressure so the bonded joints possess the same integrity as the seal itself. I would like to know how a seal without a bonded joint can work and how it handles the radius around the slide room. I am not saying it doesn't work, but I am suggesting if it does work as well it would be a simpler, cheaper alternative to the fabricated rectangle. I would also like ot know how the air inlet is secured.

David,

I will try to explain how the "one size fits all" seal works. The seal is cut to size and then the splice kit is used.
    1. Glue the opening in the end of the seal with super glue.
    2. Fold it over once
    3. Put the folded seal end in between the bolt and the clamps.
    4. Tighten down the bolt which will tighten the clamps around the seal end.
    That's it - simple!

Jon,

I can't explain how the one piece seal works around the corners; it just does! The corners of my slideroom are rounded and the seal just seats up to it. The advantage here is that it is one piece of rubber seal; no seams.

Newell has made a few sliderooms that are S shaped at the bottom right hand corner. I don't know if those have the "one size fits all" seal or not. These sliderooms are really weird looking; but they work.

I would be glad to show you mine at POG 10. I can see daylight from the inside of my coach when the seal is deflated; but no daylight is visible when the seal is inflated.
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-27-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Here is a picture of one with the S type slideroom. You can barely see the outline of the rear slideroom. It looks like they had to make it that way so it wouldn't interfer with the radiator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by merle&louise; 08-27-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga, how and where does the Newell attach the air supply line?

But now I understand they do not make a loop but in fact have and open ended loop so I presume the ends meet beneath the slide. So this begs the question as to why a Prevost seal cannot be applied in the same fashion. I guarantee I could find a rubber extruded that will sell the material direct. Especially if it works and if the issue of attaching the supply line can be resolved. I tend to agree about the corners based on what I have seen of the slide seals I have been involved with.