Thread: Can you trust your mechanic?

Hybrid View

Joe,

I lubricated my chassis today, and I found the hidden grease fitting as you mentioned/showed in post # 10 of this thread. If you stick your hand in front of the engine fan mount you can feel the grease fitting.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Some r pointed a bit forward allowing u to reach up over the top as u did and put grease that way. Then others r facing slightly rearward and much much more difficult. A great candidate for a remote fitting attached with a tube.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I tried to get to mine from underneath the bus while in the work pit, but that was not possible. Once I saw where it was, I was able to reach over the fan bracket and attach the grease hose, but I could not see it at that point.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

20170708_155734.jpg

Look how some nipplenut plumbed this.

Comes out the tank 3/4 with a adaptor that's 3/4 to 3/8. Then another adaptor that goes from 3/8 to 1/2.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Excuse me for that.

Good grief. I had to make that happy.

20170708_174256.jpg

Mobetta. I'm working on a 59 Mack B Model it's still got half its original copper air line on it. The guy complained the air assist for the steering wasn't doing much.

Well.....9 air leaks later and it's down to loosing 1 pound a min. Still terrible but a universe away from where it was this morn.

20170602_103321.jpg

This is an enchanted place for a grease monkey to come repair stuff. Like therapy and a spiritual retreat for an old wrench. Upstate NY is a great place to spend the summers.

Where is everybody at this summer???
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-08-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe, I knew you didn't mind getting dirty but this is a bit much. Have fun.

I'm replacing a watchdog and inverters right now. Always an interesting task. In this coach the entire engine control system was replaced by the watchdog. I generally don't spend too much time trying to trace the rat's nest of wires. I find it easier to simply remove everything a trace where the wires actually go. The owner said he was having a problem where the generator would only run for 30 seconds or so. I bet that explains why someone wired around the failed oil pressure safety switch.

Anyway, have fun.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

This thread brings up a question for me. I'm a new member, planning a Prevost purchase and trying to learn as much as I can to make an informed decision. Lubricating the bus ... am I right to assume that (1) you have to be underneath the bus, and (2) that is safe only if you have the bus over a pit?

Bob Prins
    2000 Mountain Aire (1st coach, successful proof of full-timing concept)

Bob, as convenient as a pit can be for some undercarriage, it certainly isn't necessary to lube the chassis. Many do it by raising the air suspension system. Others use a pair of homemade ramps.

The one thing never to attempt is crawling under a coach that isn't supported by jackstands. My adjustable stands are rated for 22 tons each.

If you have any questions on your search, let me know.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion