Thread: Our Chevy Pickup Truck Curb Lights

Default Our Chevy Pickup Truck Curb Lights

As components approach end of life, it's good idea if we let each other know what alternatives we have. Most of us have Chevy pickup truck cargo lights that were used by most converters for curb and patio lights. Many have discovered the stock of gaskets, lens, or complete assemblies may be getting harder to get. The go-to place has been LMC Truck. Others are just looking for an LED alternative for these fixtures. I posted a home made LED option for those with the festoon bulbs. Those with standard bayonet mounted bulbs have many commercial options. And don't overlook what Donnie Myers fabricated. He has a custom fabricated direct replacement LED assembly that looks great!

I'm always looking at what's available in the way of LED lighting. I think I've come across an alternative fixture that holds promise. The Maxxima MWL-33 LED fixture is unique in that it's 9 LEDS are aimed downward at 40 degrees. So, this flat fixture directs most of its light downward.

MWL33.jpg

20160115_213225.jpg

The pictures show the comparison with the Chevy light assembly and the light output and pattern.

I only have the assembly held on by double sided tape for my test period. It is designed to be held on with 4 screws and there is an available gasket. The good news is it fully covers the mounting holes used for the Chevy assembly. The bad news is it means 4 more mounting holes and a new hole for the wires.

The light output is great. Even compared to my lights with the LED light panels installed, this light has more output. Although the LEDs are aimed downward, there is enough light coming straight out of the assembly that it may not be the right light for the door porch light if it's mounted anywhere near eye level. The amount of light that comes straight out of the assemblies is not bad for all the Chevy fixtures mounted low on the coach sides.

I'm going to try this out for a while and I'll report back.

BTW, my first run of XL LED Tail Light Replacement Assemblies went pretty quick. Given there's still some interest, I ordered more metal work. These are available for order with a lead time of about two weeks for LED fixture receipt and wiring. FYI, the center LED brake light is not part of my offer.

LED-Upgrade-Bus-3.jpg
    Last edited by Gil_J; 01-18-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Good info Gil.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Gil, you design and build the neatest stuff. It's nice to have you on the POG Forum.

BTW, good looking paint job on that " LED UPGRADE " Bus.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Neat looking lights, keep us posted. I know somebody that could use some good lights.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost