Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Tire, s and balance ?

I'm one that agrees that on a per axle basis the tires should be the same size and tire model. I also agree that on a per axle basis all tire pressures should be the same. These are what all tire manufactures recommend as well.

Here's something to ponder. Why are drive axle wheel widths different? On most coaches the drive wheels are 9" wide AND 8.25" wide. For a long time Michelin had two different weight and load tables for 315s on these 2 rims. I'm guessing two 9" rims with 315s just won't fit in an XLs wheel well. Given the drive axle weight I never understood why drive and tag axle tires aren't 295s on 8.25" wheels. Of course, this would allow moving tags to steers when you're in a bind on the side of the road. Still, that doesn't explain why they didn't put 295s on the drives at least.

Something to ponder...

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I just got done working on an XL that originally had steel inside and aluminum outside duel rims originally.

It had been changed to all aluminum rims. How do I tell?

The flange on the rim where the holes R are much thicker on aluminum rims than the steel ones and require longer studs if correct.

When U switch the inner wheels from steel to aluminum and do not change the studs that is not correct and potentially dangerous.

This bus just had new tires and I noticed the inner nuts ( thimbles ) had all been replaced. The guys that sold him the tires must have decided the inner nuts were all stripping and marred and put new but neglected to cure the symptom the less than adequate stud length. Dangerous and negligent for a tire shop to make that mistake. I have seen it more than a few times.

Gill although on paper U R correct I have never seen differing tread wear on tires and rims mismatched on the drives like that and if U do ever go to aluminum inside rims PUT THE CORRECT LONGER STUDS on the drive hub.

The shorter studs for steel rims R just long enough to get by with when running inner aluminum rims on them. JUST BARLEY don't do it and if U have this now please make it right. Either go back to inner steel rims or get the correct longer studs.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 04-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.