Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Hybrid View

Jim we sold Lake George and did the intelligent thing and bought a home on Long Beach Island, a Jersey Shore barrier island....ground zero for hurricane Sandy so we haven't been able to access the island to see if the house is still there but by all indications we may have dodged that bullet. Northern NJ/NY has a different problem, no power. We got power to our stores Thursday so we were out of business for a few days. However now the problem is, fuel is scarce partially because some fuel stations have no power and I assume the supply line is disrupted because of the storm. About 50% of the homes still have no power and now gas has been rationed so even if you have a generator, getting fuel for it isn't easy lines are a mile long and you wait for hours . Once power is restored I think this all goes away immediately, but it does make you think how vulnerable we are. Dators are in the same boat waiting this dilemma out.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick, Great to have an update from you. Wish you the best of luck on the Beach House.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    However now the problem is, fuel is scarce partially because some fuel stations have no power and I assume the supply line is disrupted because of the storm. About 50% of the homes still have no power and now gas has been rationed so even if you have a generator, getting fuel for it isn't easy lines are a mile long and you wait for hours.
    Question from Wisconsin. Having lived and worked in Manhattan from 2002 to 2005 we have many friends in the impacted area and have watched the news accounts with great interest; seeing the long lines for fuel, Chris Christy's even-odd announcement yesterday, etc.

Why aren't gas stations with fuel being hooked to generators? Isn't there 10's or 100's of thousands of gallons of gasoline sitting in the ground in tanks just waiting for electricity to dispense? Or is everything bone dry?

I realized late Friday that news about the aftermath of Sandy was starting to wither on the local TV and news papers ... much like Katrina.

Rick, are you staying in the bus, or have a "buddy plug" to plug the house into the coach. We have considered this idea. 2009, we had a tornado blow thru and we lost power for 4 days, but could get the bus out for the debris.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

The gas lines today are getting to be tolerable, why stations don't have generators I don't know however the supply has to be impacted because fuel stations north of us in NY state who have electricity have no fuel to pump. Today I saw some electric trucks from Missouri, so they are ramping up the clean up and repair. As far as the coach, we just ran a few extension cords to the refrigerator etc. to get us by until we get power again.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update, best wishes and luck. Take care of that Westie.

JIM

At the fuel stations dose water not enter the tanks and need to be pumped out due to the flooding ? This may be why a generator will be of no help. I have a big propane generator 40kw if any one needs to use it. It is in Fl by daytona Beach it will run a house or two.

I hooked up a "double male" from the coach to the house. It ran our furnace and some of our lights and the refrigerator. With 300 gals of diesel we did not have to worry about gas. It is now 6 AM on Monday and the power for us just came on. Now we have to worry about a Northeaster on Thursday.
    After the dust settles I am going to get someone to figure out how I can get full power from the coach to the house so I can run my well pump.
    Bill & Linda Dator
    2003 Prevost Country Coach
    2012 Grand Cherokee

That storm was terrible ! Things look a bit rough up there - It is great to get the updates and pictures.

Please keep them coming...........

Jamie
    2008 Millennium H3-45

2013 Chevy Avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dator View Post
    I hooked up a "double male" from the coach to the house. It ran our furnace and some of our lights and the refrigerator. With 300 gals of diesel we did not have to worry about gas. It is now 6 AM on Monday and the power for us just came on. Now we have to worry about a Northeaster on Thursday.
    After the dust settles I am going to get someone to figure out how I can get full power from the coach to the house so I can run my well pump.
    Bill, Talk to Miles. He ran his house with his Bus.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty