Thread: How Many House Batteries

Hybrid View

I would concur with everyone here. The amount of batteries really has more to do with capacity than anything else. Imagine a gallon of water vs. a quart of water. The water remains the same, but you get more "drinks" from the gallon.

Dollar for dollar I would put back in what the system was originally designed to accommodate. The good folks at Country Coach spent a lot of brain power and practical experience calculating loads and and battery capacities. I think the move to AGMs is a good choice, but I would repeat the bank capacity battery for battery.

Either way, it is very important to increase, or decrease, the number of batteries in pairs so that the total is always an even number. I believe CC has a series / parallel house system. This can be cabled for an odd number of batteries but it is not worth the extra effort and wiring these banks can be confusing enough as it is.

Best of luck and safe travels,

Pat Sprenger
    Coach Pro LLC

Gil, my 99 CC came with 6 8D AGM's as most did. I just replaced mine and added two Moore to make it 8. At the same time we replaced all the cabling with 2/0 copper welding cable, not regular electrical cable. The welding cable will carry more amperage with less heat build up than regular electrical cable. If you need more expert advise you can contact Nick Hessler at Omnitech 541-954-2452. Nick was one of the CC electrical engineers who designed a lot of their systems.

Charles you must do a lot of boondocking to need 8 batteries. My cables look like welding cables, but have not taken one out far enough to actually check.

I'm having me 6 wet cells replaced with 6 AGM batteries next week. I find it strange that CC chose to wire all 6 batteries as a single battery bank, at least that's what their wiring diagram shows. Although it will provide for equal discharge across all batteries (or relatively so), it does not provide for equal charging.

Thanks all,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

6 new AGM batteries installed. Unlike the original wiring I had Coach Worx wire each battery individually to positive and negative buss bars. Although a bit more costly, it's the right way to wire multi-battery banks. It provides a more effective method of equally charging each battery and allows for easy battery isolation. Finally, it gets rid of stacked connections on the batteries, except for the one terminal that has the two temperature sensors on it.

Gil and Durlene

Gil, Very Interesting. I never thought of that. Hope I get to see this sometime. I have noticed that the way mine is wired the batteries do not receive the same equal voltage from the chargers.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim I should have called you. We spent last night in Busnell visiting with my parents on our way out of FL. Today we are at Prevost-Jacksonville.

Our trip to AK has begun :-)

Gil and Durlene

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Jim I should have called you. We spent last night in Busnell visiting with my parents on our way out of FL. Today we are at Prevost-Jacksonville.

Our trip to AK has begun :-)
    You were close. Good luck on your voyage. Let us know if you need any help. I remember Dale and I talked about the fact that our Buses [ your Bus now ] were just a couple of numbers apart. Both are side isles and the same year. Drive safe and enjoy the Ride !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty