Thread: Clearance light lens attachments (bolts and well nuts)

Default Clearance light lens attachments (bolts and well nuts)

I removed the lenses from the coach's clearance lights and hazard lights. In replacing the lenses, the receiver for the connecting bolts (two on each light lens) have become disoriented in their slots. Does any one know what to use to replace these and how to do it? For the uninformed as I was, the well nut is a rubber grommet with a threaded insert that fits in each of the holes on the side of the lens.
    Thanks for any thoughts.
    Pres

Pres, is there any way with the light off you can thread a long fastener into the threaded inserts and using that as a lever reorient the original fasteners?

There are a number of ways of providing thread in a hole, such as the type you have, but also there are other types such as Rivnuts.

Try this site: http://www.enfasco.com/Atlas/update%...-09/endata.pdf

A good fastener house such as Fastenal will be the go-to place for ideas if you bring them a sample or a photo of what you have or are trying to accomplish. I would not rule out McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#, or even WW Grainger.

When I replaced the marker lights on my last coach I simply pushed the old well nuts into the hole and replaced them with new. The 8-32 well nuts used are standard and can be purchased from most fastener stores as Jon pointed out. I always carry some in my spares kit.

Give Prevost parts a call. I ordered mine from the Nashville service center and they arrived the next day with no charge for shipping. Don't have the part number handy but they had no problem finding it. The expansion nuts were is stock. Seems like they were around 2 bucks each.

Thanks for the help. I will get'er done Monday.
    Pres

Actually, my local ACE hardware store had the well nuts in stock.

Replacing all the clearance lights turned out to be one of the easier projects I've undertaken!

Everyone, thank you for the input. I now have the well nuts ordered from Prevost and new lenses. Lee's comment on them being 8-32's was great.
    They also gave me the instructions on the installation which is obviously simple but I had it backasswards as usual.
    I tried the various manufacturers and decided to simply deal with Prevost in Dallas.
    Very best to evryone and Merry Christmas!!!
    PRES

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

And who said to do that?

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

AND, excuse me... Pete was a BIG help...
    Actually, who but a great friend would put down what he was doing...go out to his own coach and remove a lens...look at it and then come back and tell me how to fix it?
    Thanks...really!
    PRES

Pete, Sometimes you just have to exercise the arm in a backwards motion.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty