Thread: Oil Presure/Temperature???

Default Oil Presure/Temperature???

When I start my Series 60 cold, the oil pressure is about 75 lbs. That's on fast idle. When it normally warms up it drops back to 60.

Today, I was traveling from Tampa to Ft. Myers towing 3100 lbs I noticed that the pressure gauge was fluctuating between 45 and 55 and oil temp was 200 degrees while doing 70 MPH. The gauge was not moving slowly but jumping around.

Once I exited the Interstate I, of course, encountered red lights. While sitting at a light (750 RPM's) the oil pressure dropped to 30. Once I took off, the oil temp raised to 220 and the oil pressure went back to around 55. Engine temp never went above 195 and my normal oil temp is 200.

Is this something I need to worry about? I just had DD service the engine about 1800 miles ago and I checked the oil before I left and it was right on the full mark.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

That sounds pretty typical for the oil pressure. The oil temperature you are looking at is likely your transmission temperature. It will rise in stop & go traffic, and when sitting at a light in gear. I see fluctuating gauges in many Prevost, I think it is a combination of the electric sending unit & gauge. If you watch the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment while having someone run the throttle up to where the gauge jumps you will likely see it stays rock steady.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Ron,

Mine does the same thing, jumps around like crazy on the dash gauge. I put in a new sending unit and it had no effect. I did what Steve suggested and had the same result, the engine compartment gauge is rock steady.

Ron,

My gauges, temperatures, pressures, and activities are approximately the same as yours. I had a concern about this a while back and this seems to be pretty normal.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Ron (and Truk & all ) I have the same thing going on in my vintage coach. The direct gauge is rock steady but the dash gauges (oil press & water temp) both jump occasionally and do so a the same time. Traced a lot of wiring looking for bad grounds, etc but have sorta given up on this one. With others chiming in, maybe I will just have to go with the flow. I changed out both sending units AND even the radiator itself, but to no avail.

Ron, I think all those numbers you have stated are normal. The Series 60 is not a 60 psi engine. At idle, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 is common.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty