Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zip Dee awnings

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    There was a time when ZipDee was the standard by which all other awning manufacturers were measured. Every Prevost came with ZipDee awnings. Their chairs were found almost as standard equipment on conversions as well.

My guess is ZipDee would make a good business school topic on how to destroy a position of prominence in the marketplace.
    I have four of the chairs. So far they work fine...<g>!

I have 4 also, and to be fair, they are nice , sturdy and really get used quite a bit. Nice to have the color/design coordination and their storage is in 2nd compartment on the Psgr side, so convenient for the big awning

Girard Awnings were the first to come out with the lateral awning. Innovative and progresive company. Zip Dee is coming to this late.
    http://www.girardrvawnings.com/gallery.php
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Well got the awnings fixed wow what alot of work to replace 2 motors. I took some pictures but it was inside and wasn't real clear. But for those who want to know here is the breakdown. 2 motors at $656.00 each = $1,312.00 10.5 hours labor @ $95.00/per hour= $997.50 So the total bill to have your shades roll out $2,309.50
    Zip Dee was very supportive when they had a few questons on adjusting the awnings. They just mention that they were on there 3rd generation motors. Also they mention that I was lucky to have gotton almost 4 yrs without any problems. I was very pleased with the work this shop did but I think they were glad to see me leave since I was there most of the time watching. It's a 3 man job taking the awnings off. The great thing they didn't put a mark on the Bus!!!!

We have the Zip Dee Auto Awn patio awning which, as most of you know, is an air/electric operated patio awning. When this awning is working, it is terrific. We have had our share of issues with this awning but it is (as of this morning, at least) working flawlessly.

Zip Dee has been fantastic at providing customer service to me whenever I had a problem. Jimmy Hopkins is the go-to guy there and he has been great to work with.

That being said, parts are not necessarily cheap. However, I have yet to find much of anything that Liberty Coach installed on this bus as inexpensive. Prevost parts are not much better. I guess that's part of the reason these coaches cost a million dollars or more when they're new.

Whenever Jimmy could provide me with a rebuilt part at a substantial discount, or recommend a local replacement part, he didn't hesitate to do so. He has also gone out of his way to help us out at a rally to save me both time and money if he could.

Just my 2 cents regarding Zip Dee awnings.

Well said Paul! That's how I feel and was trying to get across.

Paul's point is well taken; if you want the best (or close to it) you have to pay for it.

Girard Awnings are not cheap either. As we have seen from other posts, the little anomometer that retracts the awning during high winds can run around $100!

I have heard (and I may be wrong on this) that installing a new Girard electric patio awning costs around $8500.

So the old saying goes, it only costs 100% more to go first class.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

As nice as it would be to push a button and watch my shades go up or down or my awning to go in and out my brain converts stuff like that to cost per cycle. I apply the same thinking to slides, air bags, brake chambers, Norgren valves, etc.

Even if I were to do 100% of all repairs on things like awnings and slide rooms I feel intuitively that I don't want the cost associated with pressing that button. Beyond that I have a brain that is programmed to expect longer service from something higher priced so in addition to having something else to repair I would be pissed that something I paid a lot more money for over a simpler design created more problems than it solved. The trade off of comfort or convenience for the cost would not be worth it.

There are some things in which technology does create problems, but the payback is worth it. Our engines are an example. All the technology creates problems with sensor failures for example, but in that case the payback in fuel economy and a clean running engine is worth the small problems especially since to basic engine is so highly reliable. The problem is the manufacturers of comfort or convenience items such as awnings and shades are not designing "bullet proof" products when they should be. What good is a power awning if as Sid points out is lucky if it lasts 4 years? Whatever happened to lifetime warranties and reliability?

If you attend FMCA Rally's or conventions Zip Dee is usually there to help with any awning problems including tune ups. There are many vendors at these Rallys to work on different components on RV's. Generators, Heaters, windshields, toeing bars, and so on.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide