Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow Lights and Prevost

I got the RAM wired up today without any hassles. I installed the separate bulb set from Blue Ox in the tail lamp housings. Before I pulled the wire loom up to the front bumper for termination at the base plate, I tested my work by simply touching the wires to the correct spades on truck's trailer socket. Everything worked fine. Will be interested to see how many wires feed into the back of the plug on the bus. If 5 I need to convert down to 4. If 4, then I should be good. What is the easiest way to determine which wire is which at the bus plug? Bus is stored 30 minutes away and have not actually looked at the Liberty end of this deal yet. I'd like to try to accomplish something without a call to Troy if possible. I owe that guy a case of wine already!
    Last edited by Kuhlsport; 05-13-2011 at 06:14 PM.

I have always just used a test light, but depending on the plug, most of them are marked so that makes it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhlsport View Post
    I got the RAM wired up today without any hassles. I installed the separate bulb set from Blue Ox in the tail lamp housings. Before I pulled the wire loom up to the front bumper for termination at the base plate, I tested my work by simply touching the wires to the correct spades on truck's trailer socket. Everything worked fine. Will be interested to see how many wires feed into the back of the plug on the bus. If 5 I need to convert down to 4. If 4, then I should be good. What is the easiest way to determine which wire is which at the bus plug? Bus is stored 30 minutes away and have not actually looked at the Liberty end of this deal yet. I'd like to try to accomplish something without a call to Troy if possible. I owe that guy a case of wine already!
    One more thought...I did not terminate my separate socket wiring at the front of the tow vehicle, I put a 7 way plug on it and just connect that right to the plug on the back of the bus. The wiring harness was long enough and I just roll it up and use some velcro wraps and tie it under the hood when not using it. This eliminates another connector and I think it looks better on the tow vehicle as it is not seen unless it is pulled out and hooked to the bus. The BlueOx kit had enough wiring to do this on my Tahoe, not sure about the Dodge.... All you need is the 7 way connector for additional parts. Easy and quick way to finish the job...

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    With several posts alluding to difficulty or problems with Toad lighting, I wonder how well the "Wireless" tow light arrangements work. As I have read, you plug it into your bus connection, then afix the lights to rear of toad, regardless of what make/model. From the bus to rear of toad is wireless. About $150 and I am not sure how one would affix the lights to toad, whether suction cups in rear window or what. Wouldn't want something tacky looking or not secure from theft or movement.
    Rodger - we use the wireless tow lights and love them! The lights affix to the rear deck or roof of the toad magnetically - just place them where you want them, push the "on" button, and you're ready to roll!