Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Upper control arm bushings 2003 XLII

Thanks for all your help guys...

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome george View Post
    The Prevost tech manual covers the procedure and calls for a press tool for the bushings that can be improvised with tube.
    I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that manual. Is it available thru Prevost parts?

David,

You can see Prevost manuals on line. I haven't done this for a while so I don't know the path other than access is through the maintenance section on the Prevost web site. You can look up anything that is in the shop manuals for any model or model year.

I have the hard copy which is why I don't often go on line, and I don't have comuter access when in my coach, but anyone with computer access can see the same manuals.

lonesome george Guest

David,
    Yes, Prevost parts will have the maintenance manuals. I just purchased a new one the one that came with my bus was missing some stuff. I prefer a paper manual for servicing and making repairs.
    The last time I used the Prevost site for maintenance data I could not get any information past a 2000XL, don't know where the information went for the older buses but I could not get to it.

Bob, I replaced the upper A arm bushings on our 98 XL last fall. Not a big deal. It helps to have an extra set of hands because they are heavy. Help is also nice when pressing in the new bushings. The force required is minimal but they are awkward. Once installed it's a minor challenge to get the spindles back in the axle assy. A little jack-work gets the job done. I also replaced the ball joint on one side. Prevost replaces the whole A arm when this is required due to labor time in replacing the ball joint. It is a bit of a hassle but definitely do-able if you're using sweat equity. Good luck.

Well I finally got this done, and yeah the bus fought me every step of the way! Seperating the upper ball joint called for a sledge hammer. a regular 5lber wouldnt do it. Pressing in the new bushings was more than my 12 ton press could handle, so it had to be subbed out. All added up I spent under $200 for a job that took me about 4 hours total that I was quoted $3800 for!

Now onto the stock car!