Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mini Taco Tour!!

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jerry, great looking coach. I know you must be proud of it. I know I'm just happy to say I know you and Loc!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Wow! All I can say is - BEAUTFUL!

Perfect!! We can't wait to see it live. The world is a better place with more orange in it.
    Neal and Carla

JDUB and Rae, congrats on the new bus! It's fabulous and love that it is color coordinated with you plane! Hope Bob and I get to see it in person sometime this year!

Debi and Bob

Congratulations Jerry. It looks great!

Jon,

You pose an interesting question. Here is my rough estimate at the cost of no OTR. I drove the old coach some 50k miles, so if you say I averaged 50 mph, then that's 1000 hours of driving. If you estimated half the driving was with the OTR air running that's 500 hours over three years. If I were to use the generator only (not inverting power and using the engine gen to charge) and it was running at 50% max load, then the fuel burn is roughly 1.2 gph. The math works out to about $630 per year in fuel to cool the coach this way. Subtract the cost of the 25 hp I was told the OTR siphons off - brake specific fuel consumption for the Series 60 is .379 lb fuel per BHP per hour or +/- 1.7 gph - so in Obama math, I'm making money by not having OTR.....

You've got the right attitude. Crank up the genset and enjoy all the coach has to offer.

When I ran my genset when we were in OSH I put about 165 hours on it, and my fuel burn amounted to about .4 GPH. I don't know how many of the cruise airs was running at any one time, but I suspect it was 2 to 3 of them depending on the outside temps and where the sun was shining. That's cheap comfort.

Based on gut feel from recording every gallon of fuel I have ever put into my coaches I'm guessing OTR costs about .3 MPG. That's not a proven number, but my best guess so it is about .25 gallons per hour which is close enough to the cost of running the genset to call it equal. I suspect running AC units through the inverters and loading the alternator will produce fuel burns within that same range but might not provide the comfort level you will achieve by having the ability to run as many of your 4 AC units as needed.

Keep us posted on how you compare the two approaches to staying comfortable. BTW running your genset hard and often is going to be the best thing you can do for it. Those things will go 30,000 hours or more, something few of us will ever subject our gensets to.

Way to go. Gorgeous bus. Hope you and Rae enjoy thoroughly...............................I feel like Pete, I'm just glad to know you guys in the Houston contingent.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Jerry, Ain't capitalism great? Very, very nice. Hope you and the girls put many happy miles on it.

Boy, now would be a good time for JDUB to pull that new bus out of the barn and hit the Beltway to ck his traction and stimulate the Webasto. Always want to make sure the heat works. Does anyone make 315 studded snow tires.
    Beautiful bus, enjoy