When we got our first coach the steers had cupping on the outer edges due to an out of balance condition. This was before I started using Equal and before I realized (thanks to Jim Keller) that the rubber tire actually rotates on our wheels.

Anyway that cupping was typical of the 12.00 tires of that time (1990). The tread depth was good, all the tires had been balanced, so I had the steers with the cupping put on the tag. Within 5000 miles those tires that had been placed on the tag had the rubber worn off down to the steel cords. Aparently the tag axle has ride motions that accelerate bad tire wear and accentuate it. At least that is the case I experienced.

I don't have any knowledge for or against side to side rotation, but I know I will not put any tire that shows an unusual wear pattern on the tag after my experience. FWIW the Michelins of 20 years ago are nowhere near the quality of those of today with respect to outer tread wear. Those tires back in the bad old days on just about everyone's coaches had a distinct scalloping around the outer edges that could be felt, and if allowed to continue could be seen. I learned a hard lesson that as soon as any unusual steer or tag axle wear is detected to move them to the drive axle where that wear will eventually be corrected. It goes without saying that part of the process is to eliminate the cause of the wear unless you want to continue going through the process of rotating tires.

BTW, I do not rotate tires now because I have no unusual wear at any position, but have been putting the newest tires in the steer position.

My Chinese drive tires still hold air.