Thread: In Your Spare Time

Cool In Your Spare Time

Here's a small job that will make your bus last longer. If you find it of interest you will need about one and a half hours depending on how hard you work at it.

I wanted to polish my blemished license plate mounting casting and after thinking about it I thought it would be better done off the bus than on, so off it came. Whoh what I found behind it. Packed in the space between Aluminum and Stainless was a crusty mass of dirt.
    There is no place for dirt like this on any bus. I brushed it out and washed it off and found corrosion by electrolysis.
    I knew that if I put it back without doing something it might not last long enough. The casting is only about 3/16" thick.
    What to do?
    First I polished the etched SS and the Aluminum casting, can't have any of that on a proper bus.
    Next I wire brushed the inside/back side of the casting and painted it with Zinc Chromate primer to help prevent contact of it with the SS.
    Next I applied Electrical tape to the SS surface that would make contact with the Aluminum and to the under side of the mounting screws.
    Finally the assembly went together and I have all the confidence that it will now last at least a lifetime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Jim. Why don't you plan to bring everything you used on your bus and give us a demonstration (on mine of course) at OKC. We need to see things done before we do them ourselves.!
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Talking

Dale, how about I bring the stuff and talk you through it for a real hands on experience.
    That way you can better judge, when you are finished, if it was worth it or not!

JIM

Jim,

The bus license plate frame may last forever but if you handle too much zinc chromate, you won't. That crap will kill an elephant

John

Talking

Never touched one bit John

JIM