Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bicycles

Jeff Bayley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust_128 View Post
    Jeff:

I looked at that rack. It looks promising. A couple of things.

1. It will be on the back of my pickup (toad) not the bus.
    2. How do you secure (lock) the bukes into that rack.
    3. I am unsure as to it interfering with dropping the tailgate on the truck.
    4. I suspect that on or in the truck is where they will end up as we will take them on our excursions away from the coach.

Paul:

I do not have the swinging spare tire on the truck. Do you know if there was an option with your rack to body, bumper or frame mount it? I like the idea of being able to swing away the carrier with the bikes mounted.

Thanks.

First, regarding the ladder, I do remember having some discussion here about it prior and one of the memebers said he bought a cheaper version of the same ladder and wished he'd gotten the better one I wound up with. I don't know which is which. Get the more expensive one I guess. Might be up to $100 difference.

Here's a diagram of the rack. If you look at the first link, I originally posted, you'll see the two 180 degree hooks. Those slide up and down and lock onto the bar of your bike. I don't think this rack swings down to let a truck tailgate down. But the bikes come off so fast, you could then just take the pin out and remove the rack. Thule makes some swing out types. Try "swing out bike rack" in the search engine if you want.

I've never had the roof racks where you remove the wheel and lock it into place but suspect they work best if your under 40 and have a lightweight racing bike. The cruiser types bikes most of us use are lighter than days past but probably a two man job to get up and down. Like I said before, we use the bikes a lot more often when they are so quick to get on and off and no rack could be quicker than that Swagman. I stopped using the water proof bag because it took too long to get on and off. I let the bikes get covered with exhaust and rain and wash them off once and while and WD-40 the crap out of everything. I'll let them go bad from the weather and get two new ones in two years. But at least I'll have used the bikes instead of having them under the wrapper. The optional waterproof bag is good for long trips I guess.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SGXC2Bike.pdf

This diagram shows the handlebars turned. I don't have to turn mine to get them to both fit. You mount them opposite directions.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 06-15-2009 at 10:04 AM.

sawdust_128 Guest

Jeff: I appreciate that. My question was about securing (i.e., locking) the bikes and rack so they don't get clipped. What's your advise on that?

sawdust_128 Guest

I think I may have found a solution. In the posted link, they produce and sell a reticulated, hitch mounted arm. They also sell cargo platforms, storage boxes and yes, a bike rack which mount on it. Looks like a good fit for my crap. I can mount this, rack the bike and other crap and swing all of the crap out of the way when I need to.

Best of all, no $$$crap-fines for Peter, no permits from Paul and most likely incompliance with Jeff's rules and regs on hitched crap.

But we'll have to hold our breath until Jon chimes in on this.

http://www.stowaway2.com/default.aspx

P.S. Joe's comments on the grill (the freedom grill) stimulated my efforts at other search parameters, so I guess Joe is the Czar of Stimulus.

Dusty, the CRAP of your last idea will be when you get a ticket for being over length, if you in fact will be.

JIM

I never thought I would see the day.

Sawdust, you have a freakin H3 with more storage space than the average cargo ship. You tow a damn pickup truck with even more cargo space. To hide the crap you carry or drag you could put a cap on the truck. But instead you already take an overlength vehicle combination and add to its length with a rack that makes the whole rig look like something you would see hauling scrap metal to the recycler.

There is only one thing left for you to do now. Get that orange fiberglass ladder you have strapped to the rear up against the coach and make a 2X4 roof rack on the coach for even more junk on top of the coach. Then get a couple of those blue plastic "tarps" and baling twine to cover up the mess. Be sure to leave about 8 feet of twine to whip in the breeze and make sure the ends of the plastic are allowed to whip in the wind.

That will complete the redneck fashion statement you are trying to make.

I would think the Crap Czar could come up with a sufficiently descriptive title for the southern version of good taste and its purveyor. Do you have the washing machine (in appliance white of course) prominently displayed during your travels?

Default Authentic Redneck

Ed: Sounds to me like you need a porch.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I never thought I would see the day.

Sawdust, you have a freakin H3 with more storage space than the average cargo ship. You tow a damn pickup truck with even more cargo space. To hide the crap you carry or drag you could put a cap on the truck. But instead you already take an overlength vehicle combination and add to its length with a rack that makes the whole rig look like something you would see hauling scrap metal to the recycler.

Jon: You are just so damn full of crap. You know damn well that I already have a cap on the truck. It's where I over-winter the mater plants and start the watermellons. You're just jealous you damn TN stainless steel oyster barge pusher. Go buff a slack adjuster.

To the rest of you, Hey ya'll watch this!!!

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    Ed: Sounds to me like you need a porch.

Bob:

That's why I want to hang out with Joe & Bruce. They have porches on top of their coaches. King, you're getting left in the dirt on that one.

Thumbs up Crap Valve

Ordered the Thetford Crap valves from Liberty, 2@$56.00 ea.

When they are installed I will have a new lease on controlling all of my bus crap.

JIM

Ed, with all your mechanical ability, I think you could/would make bike racks incorporating heavy duty drawer slides.
    The bikes to stand upright in a bay, clean, secure and ready to go at a moments notice.

JIM