Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian Reservation Taxless Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    We have a yard in Longview and Shreveport. Lots of work still going on in the Haynsville shale. Good wells too.

Too many good wells unfortunately in an already oversupplied market...from my admittedly biased perspective.

Orren Zook Guest

I had a customer working in NY cutting trees, his fleet of trucks was fueling at the reservation in Salamanca while on that job because the prices were better. When it came time to file his year end tax returns the US government and state of NY billed him for unpaid road use tax... I doubt any of us would be in similar circumstances, but maybe so if your coach was titled under a business entity.

I always fuel at Salamanca with the bus when we go to upstate NY each summer. Back in the NY trucking days, we didn't allow drivers to fuel at any of the the reservations because there was no fuel purchase credit to offset the NY ton mile tax. If you didn't buy enough fuel to offset the miles run in the state, you had to pay!

I cannot speak about other states, but NY has a requirement for filing highway use taxes. Any vehicle in excess of 17,999# used for commercial purposes must file and display a HUT sticker on the front bumper.

That company got nailed for the taxes because they could not prove payment of the taxes. The tax form is a nightmare because you have to account for miles driven and the records need to reflect NY State miles and miles driven in other states which are exempt from the taxes.

Adding to the nightmare filling out the forms are such things as miles driven on the NYS Thruway are exempt so you need to keep detailed records and then report accurately. I am glad I am not in NY state anymore.

Our buses do not have to pay because they are not commercial.

lewpopp Guest

Jon, you are absolutely on the mark on the truck tax, but did you have to mention that our busses are private vehicles and not the old "private coach" sign bit will reappear. Oh well, I feeling better as each day goes by but who cares.