Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Led Tail Lights

I did once. I think I hit 63 mph. I got so scared that for a minute I wanted to trade my plane for a Vee tail.

But I got over it.

lewpopp Guest

I know for a fact that you exceeded 63 mph going to Kerrville. Remember when Jan(Dale) practically climbed out on the roof of the lead bus to take our picture side by side. She should have gotten some sort of award for the risk.

I'm sure it was around ,well, 65 or so.

Tully Guest

Default LED LIGHTS- Here we go again, sort of.

I am not interested in doing a full blown switch over to LED lights.

The new trailer I have on order has led running lights. I wanted the three
    marker lights on the Prevost to match.

Where can I get a 24 Volt marker light that is a plug n play? I have searched high and low with no luck.

Again, just three marker lights on each side is all I am looking to do.

Would I need a relay for each and every light?

Can some one give me a link for just the marker lights on the side of bus?

Thanks,

Tully

Tully,

DaleJ is the man for LED's. I think he and Jan are traveling now, but try to get ahold of him.

Ken

Petervs Guest

If you want the lights to match just get them from the trailer manufacturer.

If the bus is 24 volts and the lights are made for 12 volts, all you need is a resistor (of the proper ohm rating) in the power feed line going to each LED fixture. Radio Shack sell them for peanuts. The power draw is so low on LED lights that a very low power resistor will be adequate. They might cost $1 each max.

Anyone who understands electrical systems can calculate the resistor specs for you if you have the LED power draw number, or can measure it with a multimeter and get you the answer that way.

Default LED Marker Lights

Plug and Play? Not really.... Grote makes a 24V amber marker that will work. Model number is 47353. Ryder Fleet Products has them for $9.29... What a deal!! However.... It doesn't match the existing lights, so you may end up wanting to replace both. It doesn't plug in, you need to buy the 67070 pigtail to go with it. Since the current lamp is grounded through the mounting screw, you need to buy a set of stainless screws to screw the ground wire to the side of the bus, and a cobalt drill bit to make a new hole. The positive wire needs to be cut and a new bullet terminal crimped on to go on the other side of the pigtail. Since the rubber well nuts are 20 years old, you'll probably need to replace some of them. You'll find you'll need longer mounting screws if you use new well nuts. Finally, the new lights are wider than the old ones and need some sanding on one edge to sit square to the side panel, since one side sits on the rib (at least on my 89 XL)..... It's nothing too difficult, but definitely not plug and play.... If you are still interested I can post where to get the well nuts and bullet connectors...

Tully Guest

Yes, please post where I can get the well nuts & bullett connectors.

The old lights have the metal bracket. Once taken off and new LED light installed, is there room to tuck this pig tail in? Not certain how big it is or actually what it looks like.

Tully

Tully Guest

Looked at the Grote site. Looks like the metal protector bracket that goes around my current lights will not fit.

What type of bracket or cover did you use?

Tully

Tully, call IBP and see if they don't now stock 24 volt marker lights. I don't see them on their web site but they sell a lot of things that are not listed.
    http://www.ibpindustries.com/home