Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bus Engine Shutdown

Denny,

I may be wrong, but there are a number of transmission sensors that may cripple the bus. I know for sure of one because we were stuck because of it.

The temperature sensor will not allow you to shift if it thinks the temperature of the transmission is below a certain value. We had gotten a "do not shift" warning while driving. When I found a place to pull over the transmission would not downshift, was literally locked in gear and stalled the engine.

The sensor was displaying a -20 temperature when it was hooked to a reader. If you cannot shift into gear or out of gear you effectively are shut down. I believe there is a sensor that detects RPM. If it thinks the RPM of the engine is above idle it will not allow you to shift into gear.

There may be others.

Jeff Bayley Guest

I got 5 or 6 spare sensors finally late Wednesday and installed the "Engine Oil Overheat" which was suspect based on the flashing error codes and comparing against the legend. Code 44. Appears to have fixed it if the 35 miles trip to get home was test enough. My engine got up to 195 but mostley was about 180-190 at 60mph. No check engine light so presume the sensor change was the fix as advised here by Jon and others. Shoudn't Jon have a lodge hat or something to wear that says "POG King Poo Bah" or something like that ?

Regarding the transmission going into gear at high idle, I'm certain my bus was requiring me to switch into low idle before it would engage BUT when I had the RPM tuned and adjusted at detroit, it no longer required this. I belive this is becuase my high idle is around 9,000 RPM and my low idle is around 6-7k RPM. It WILL go into gear on high idle but I suspect that is either becuase my high idle is not high enough (to mandate I put into low idle) or maybe Detroit's software has an adjustment to determine at what RPM it makes you idle down just as they do for many other engine adjustments (like how you want your coach to react when one of sensors it triggered) and mine is set in such a way that it goes into gear. It DOES idle down simultanous with going into gear to for just a split second before engaging. While we're on this topic, what do others like to have their high and low settings on ? Also, I need to buy a DDEC reader if anyone comes across one.