Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerned about fuel?

Default gas supply

No problem on gas or diesel on I-10 thru So. Mississippi. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Thanks for the posts and encouragement everyone.

I would consider carrying a jug, however the reason I'm taking the car, is to carry everything I can that went on my previous bus, to the new bus. I am stocked to the gills, and already sent a couple of boxes ahead!

I didn't want to be on the road for three weeks with an empty bus!

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 09-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.

lewpopp Guest

Ray, this won't help you get across I-10 but, we just arrived in Florida today and the fuel on 95 going up the eastcoast is plentiful.

Paid cash at each stop and received 9-10 cents off each purchase. I used the FJ card and that was only worth 1 cent. Who knows what the cash discount is if you use a credit card of some one elses, but a FJ credit card is considered cash.

As you all know, the credit card cos charge 2 1/2 percent charge to the oil co to use their card. That's a lot when they have to pay 10 cents pergallon to peddle it to us. Screw these CC cos.

Oh yeah, they were Lewbucks and it hurt. I ain't one of the rich boys. I guess I saved$40-50 on the way down.

Thanks Lew,

Yeah, I hadn't really considered it, but I'm thinking carrying and paying in cash might be a good thing. Better discount, and I won't get hit with a major credit card bill after the trip.

Thanks for the comment.

Ray

Orren Zook Guest

I use my AMEX at Flying J's with the RV card and always get the cash price plus 1 cent per gallon, some pumps at 'affiliate' Flying J's seem to have problems with card reading but the clerk at the fuel desk can authorize the pump for your discounts.

I think like Ray in being on the side of caution with available fuel - maybe because my Daddy used to tell me "it doesn't cost any more to use the gas off the top or the bottom of the tank, but it does save on shoe leather".

Default fuel on I-10

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    I use my AMEX at Flying J's with the RV card and always get the cash price plus 1 cent per gallon, some pumps at 'affiliate' Flying J's seem to have problems with card reading but the clerk at the fuel desk can authorize the pump for your discounts.

I think like Ray in being on the side of caution with available fuel - maybe because my Daddy used to tell me "it doesn't cost any more to use the gas off the top or the bottom of the tank, but it does save on shoe leather".
    Orren, we have paid the same way all the way out from San Antonio, Fl thru El Paso so far. No issues with fuel and a best price of $3.63 for diesel.

Ray, I do not recommend I-10 in the bus if you were thinking on going that route, the cement barrier walls look like they are going to reach out and touch you. Jump up to I-20, it will be much more enjoyable.

Richard Beecher

No fuel problems on I-10 through Alabama and FL. We just returned from trip all the way across FL on I-10 and didn't see any signs or encounter any problems either east- or westbound. Checked with family in Mobile and no shortages there either. The only place I know about a problem is in NC. My daughter-in-law flew in from Charlotte yesterday and said she hopes she has enough gas to drive back to Hickory because there were "no gas" signs all over the place. Good luck on your trip and congratulations on your new bus.

Bonnie

Thanks for the updates. Richard, I will be in the car on I-10. The bus will be going up to NY from FL, and then back along a more northern route (still in the planning stages).

I understand you'll be in Southern CA late tonight. I know a few of us would love to get a chance to say high, maybe grab a bite to eat tomorrow night, if you have time.

Steve was gonna call and let us know.

Ray

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Carolinas appear to e clearing

Reports from media outlets state the following:

"Officials say the availability of gas should have improved throughout the state this weekend, but it will still take a week or more for the Southeast to get the larger shipments of gas."

http://news14.com/content/top_stories/default.aspx