Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid Newbie Question

We have coach insurance through Explorer, but my policy covers all expenses for flats, towing and out of pocket expenses up to a reasonable limit. There is no company involved like Coach Net. I call for help, pay the cost of repair or towing and send the bills to Explorer. Truckdown.com is the best bet for locating help anywhere in the US.

While we're talking about issues like coach insurance, if you have not gotten a quote from Explorer RV Insurance Co. it might be worth while. I had coverage with Formost for over twenty years and had either one or two small claims. Explorer's quote was $1100 a year cheaper than Formost and I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not shoping the price years ago.
    Click on the red bus at the top left side of the screen and scroll down to get a link to Explorer. We have lots of new members and some of you are paying to much for your coach coverage. These folks know Prevost coaches and can save you some serious Lewbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I use the infrared thermometer at rest areas.

Jon can you explain how you use an IR Thermometer to check your tire pressure, Please?

As I told you on the phone I just purchased a new Extech 830 Amp meter, and it has an IR Thermometer built in it. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9015_200319015

Just not sure how to use the IR Thermometer for checking the Tires?

Thanks as always for your help.

Gary S.

I do not check pressure, but look for consistency in the tire temperatures. A common temperature is about 115 degrees measured at each tread.

If a tire is soft it will register a higher temp due to greater sidewall flexing.

I also occasionally check the wheel temp near the hub since this will indicate a dragging brake or a bearing starting to fail or low grease levels.

Default Prepared

Thanks for the input, this will help me be better prepared on the road.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Thanks Jon for the IR Temp. advise.

Gary S.

Default Smarttire Pressure Monitor System

I have the Smarttire system on my bus and would not be without it. Had it on previous plastic coaches but was not on the bus and felt handicapped without it. You still need to physically inspect the tires but the pressure and temp are monitored as you drive down the road. No need to get out the thermometer or air gauge at every stop ; push the button and you have the pressure reading and temp on each tire.

Downside is the cost since it is mounted on the inside of the tire on the rim. Around $1500 but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I have the Smarttire system on my bus and would not be without it. Had it on previous plastic coaches but was not on the bus and felt handicapped without it. You still need to physically inspect the tires but the pressure and temp are monitored as you drive down the road. No need to get out the thermometer or air gauge at every stop ; push the button and you have the pressure reading and temp on each tire.

Downside is the cost since it is mounted on the inside of the tire on the rim. Around $1500 but the peace of mind is well worth it.
    The price for the HCI system, Tire Safe Guard (website does not display new equipment) will be less than half of what you paid Denny. That is a special price for POG members. It will cover 8 bus wheels and 4 on the Toad. Oh, it monitors each tire every few seconds automatically without pushing a button.