Thread: Yellowstone Route

Default Yellowstone Route

We are leaving Home (Austin, TX) in a couple of weeks and we are headed to Oshkosh and then on to Yellowstone from there. I was curious if anyone has figured the best way (other than the "shortest" in my GPS) to get back to Texas from there. We are staying at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.

Has anyone ever run thier bus straight through the park on 191 to 287 towards Cheyenne?

Where is the nearest place to get Die$el in West Yellowstone? Just thinking I may want to get a load of liquid gold before I head across the middle of nowhere. I guess this is my pilot side of me thinking about this.

Thanks in advance

Brent

Default Yellowstone to The People's Republic of Austin

Brent,

I guess it sorta depends on where you start from. I have been thru Jackson / Pinedale / Rock Springs, but the 191/26/287/I-25 route is shorter. My trip planner always wanted me to go up I-35 to I-70, but coming down to Amarillo and doing 287 to 281 might be just as fast.

There wasn't any "cheap" diesel after I left Kansas, so I would just fill it up and not worry until I got back to Texas.

Brent,

We stayed last week at Grizzly RV and just made it home to Houston today. We have traveled to and from Yellowstone on various routes over the years. This time, we left W. Yellowstone and took 287 all the way down past Riverton. We wanted to go to Fort Laramie and Scottsbluff so we diverted over to Casper and hit I-25 from there. Based on our travels, I think the following would be the quickest. Take 287 out of W. Yellowstone down to I-80. I will take you almost three hours from W Yellowstone to Moose (at the end of Grand Teton NP) because of the slower speed limits and the curves. It is a relatively easy drive if you don't get in a hurry. There is also construction on 287 around Togwotee Pass because of rock slides (expect three to four flag men - with a two to five minute wait). From 287, take I-80 all the way past Grand Island to US Highway 81. Go south on 81 and it becomes I-135 in Salina and then I-35 in Wichita. The GPS says to cut down from I-80 and take US Hwy 183 to I-70 and then over to Salina, but we have done that and it isn't as quick (I-70 had more hills and traffic). I think I-80 is a quicker drive because it is relatively flat given that it follows the North Platte river valley, the speed limit is 75 mph, and US 81 is a four lane highway from I-80 down to Salina. We have also down I-25 from Cheyenne down to Raton and then over to Amarillo and down. The I-80/US 81/I-35 route was quicker for us. Cabellas has a RV park in Sidney, NE next to their store that is just off of I-80 and is a good overnight stop on the way home. You can get a full hookup or just electric.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Loc, thanks for the route. That is exactly what we will do. We are staying at Grizzly as well.

Brent