Thread: Replacing Step Slide Air Cylinder

Default Replacing Step Slide Air Cylinder

Our step slide air cylinder started leaking a few weeks ago so I called Liberty and ordered a new one. The first cylinder I received from Liberty was the wrong one, but Dave Wishnoff with Liberty was at Sevierville and he took the wrong cylinder with him and had the correct part delivered to me last week.
    This was not an easy job. The slide cylinder is built into a box that can only be reached by pulling the carpet up and taking the lid off the box. The problem was that the rear attaching mount for the cylinder is not in the box. It is on the other side of a hole cut in a steel brace under the floor about 12" behind the accelerator peddle. Access to the rear mount required dropping the front bumper, taking the screws out of the base that holds one of the front Cruise Air units in place and easing the Cruise Air unit over a few inches. The next requirement was for a skinny 80# helper that could squeeze up under the floor and loosen the nut holding the cylinder in place. My 12 year old grandson was the guy and he really did a good job. When he got the nut off, I pulled the old cylinder out and took the air line off and installed it on the new cylinder. Then he replaced the nut and tightened it down good. The rest of the job was just putting things back together and checking for leaks. I sent Jan into town to get a carpet stretcher and when she gets back I'll finish up. Hopefully on newer coaches, Liberty has figured a better way to attach this cylinder.
    As you can see, I busted the laminate on the bottom edge of the cup holder cabinet while getting the lid off the box when we were in Sevierville. I found a 2" wide burnished aluminum strip that I will glue to the full length of the bottom edge of this cabinet to cover the blemish.

Last edited by tdelorme; 04-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Thumbs up

I just takes an Aggie to get it done.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

dreamchasers Guest

Ted,

I saw you start this project in Sevierville. I am glad you finished it. It certainly looked like you were working in a very tight space.

Hector

What a pain! My floor is tile, so I hope they have changed the configuration.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

This is one of the joys of owning a bus full of pneumatic driven devices with no means of lubricating them. I'll discuss, the merits of putting a squirt of pneumatic oil into the air lines ahead of the cylinders, with Jon in Pahrump.
    We put auto oilers in the lines of our Pneumatic devices in the shop.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Harry, In your steer compartment you will see a manifold block on the floor near the door hinge. That is the Liberty installed house aux air circuits.

You can easily add an oiler to whatever devices you wish at that point. I added shut off valves on each circuit on my bus so I could isolate problems and components. It would be easy enough to add the oiler as well.