Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin 496 GPS Portable

I haven't paid attention to how frequently the MX 200 updates( it was around every 5 minutes with the 20) but I will look next time I fly. Of course I am always VFR and use it more as a flight planner than anything else. It is helpful though when navigating a cell to know what is behind the weather you are seeing. Interestingly the other day I was painting these well formed cells( dark green/yellow) going across the state yet never encountered a thing. Another pilot I know was at my destination and reported getting the same returns. Wasn't ground clutter..must have been a glitch in the system.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

I think that my 530 updates the same as the 396/496, after all its just a receiver.

The beauty of the XM is that it allows you to avoid something, like a nice solid line, long before it makes an appearance on your radar.

Jon is correct about seeking assistance from ATC unless you are in the High Sectors (above 240) then there is pleanty of chit chat about severe weather. Should you be IMC approaching an airyard with severe weather, especially a big one, say ATL, they are pretty good about keeping you out of the big ones but even a small one in a light aircraft is not too pleasant.

Even more than the weather stuff, that traffic that is available on the 530 is terrific...not sure if the 496 will do that because it needs a feed from the Garmin transponder. I will take a level 5 T-Storm anyday when compared to a 172 (running into me). TCAS (TCAD) would be even better but that's way up there in the price department.

John
    Last edited by flyu2there; 04-03-2008 at 09:12 AM.

I don't know how the different radios receive their weather. The 396 / 496 gets its downloads from XM using a dedicated antenna. I presume the various different radios each have their own way of receiving the data. If I am not mistaken the Honeywell King system uses ground based transmitters and Garmin is based on satellite transmission.

But I believe all use data that has been massaged by the NWS from data it receives from radar sites across the country. After the NWS puts that data into a useable form then the various services transmit it to the receivers.

There is no doubt when the data received is recent and not corrupted that it is a tremendous tool. Back in pre-historic times a pilot would have to translate data such as the lifted index to try to mentally see what he would encounter during his flight between point A and B. When the pilot wanted an update he had to call FSS (when it really worked, and before the current clowns are running it) and ask for an update. The briefer would try to define the area of storms based on lines between VORs or some other points. Only when the pilot got close to the weather could he rely on the Model 20/20 eyeballs, radar and stormscope (in that order).

Today a guy with a 172 can launch towards bad weather with a high degree of confidence and as long as he does not ask too much of his 430/530/396/496/MX20/etc. he can work around weather that he previously could or would never tackle.

My only concern is I see on the various forums that guys that are barely capable of IFR flight are talking like they rely on their handhelds to work through a line.

As a tool to be used to predict when we will get our buses wet I see it as a great device. As a tool solely used to navigate bad stuff I have less enthusiasm for its use without detailed knowledge of its strengths and weaknesses.

I have to think that the time lag has to be a bandwidth problem that will be solved as more people turn to this system and they invest in more capacity.

I also like the ability to look into and behind weather hundreds of miles away so that I can make a slight deviation to get around it. And the sat photo overlay seals the deal. Seeing vastly improving weather can also help you move up to a front and land and know that within an hour or so you will be flying in clear blue sky.

I have the transponder tied to the 430 so the traffic comes up there, so I never thought about running it thru the 496. I do have the 496 linked to the audio panel so that I get the terrain warnings and the XM music thru the intercom.

My weather comes through a dedicated reciever( I believe it is a Garmin GDL 69) and the vendor is Wx Worx. The fact that the overall performance improved led me to believe it was in the MFD...for all I know it could be a continous loop video.
    Last edited by grantracy; 04-03-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: sp
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2