"Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well. "
Who ever Bill is, he's nuts! Di chlor and Tri Chlor are poisons, for that matter so is Clorox, I remember when it used to have a skull and crossbones on the label.
First, one pound of swimming pool dry chlorine is more like 80 gallons of Clorox.....and chlorine has even more salt (sodium) than Clorox.
Were talking 8-12 parts per million here, that's all that is needed and it is generally found in that concentration in most municipal water systems and, even at that concentration, there are those who claim it is hazerdous.
A cup here, a tablespoon or two there is going to send concentrations way high.
Personally I just flush the tank every now and then with muni water, then I replace all of the filters. A $500.00 RO System is the answer. You could fill your tank with pond water and still enjoy your coffee, oh, don't forget your icemaker.
"Consider some well-known attributes of chlorine. Let's say, "the dark side" of the saviour. A PhD chemist friend put it this way: "If I were assigned to go into a lab and produce a menu of known carcinogens (cancer-causing agents), the first thing I would do would be to grab-up a cylinder of chlorine and start bubbling it through some water that contains naturally occuring organic acids (humic and fumic acids -- as are found in all natural bodies of water like rivers, lakes, reservoirs, etc.)."
John


Reply With Quote