Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: It has Begun

All you need for that one is a book jacket.

Default Bus State Inspection

I was informed that I need a state inspection for the bus, before I can get new Texas Tags.

Loc, JDUB, where do I take this big boy to get it inspected? Someplace with a nice easy in and out, if possible. I am still learning you know, and I won't have my co pilot to help me watch for trees, curbs, other vehicles.

I was hoping to go tomorrow, cause the bus is currently out of the barn?

Oh yea, that brings up another story that just happend to me today. "YOUR GONNA LOVE THIS ONE."

I was told I would have 50 amp service in my new barn when I got home. Well we pulled in late Sunday afternoon, a little worn from the trip, slowly backing it in, but before I get all the way in, I decide to test the New 50 amp plug, before I plug the bus in. My tester says, STOP DON'T PLUG YOUR BUS IN, so I don't and I wait until I can meet with the electricians this evening to find out if they mis wired the plug>>>>>>>?????

MISWIRED is an understatement, those IDIOTS, took the normal 110v circuit wire, and connected it to the 50amp plug, and thought that would give me 50 amp service.

They will be pulling new wire and connecting properly for my 50 amp service tomorrow ? UNBELIEVABLE

Hi Gary. You've probably heard this : The cheapest investent you will ever make is to hire a Licensed Contractor.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Find any inspection place close to where the bus is then go by there and see if you can actually get the coach "close". I called one then went by to inspect it to make sure. They don't get the concept of how big these busses really are.

Also don't forget you will need to have the coach weighed, so unless you already have a slip, you will need to get that done as well.

dalej Guest

So let me see if I have this...

In Texas you need a inspection, you find a inspection location, you then inspect it and then have a inspection!

NY also has an inspection. The problem with NY is they really don't have their act together.

When we first got our 87 coach it was registered in PA, so after registering it we had 10 days to get it inspected. As a private vehicle we took it to the local gas station. They are supposed to check things like lights, wipers and horns. They are supposed to make sure the tires have tread, there is not any frame rust and that the brakes are OK. They also are supposed to check for emissions.

The response from several places was to take it to a commercial vehicle inspection station.

So the one that did the inspection inspected it as he would a bus or a truck. So far so good. When he got done and he was filling out the paperwork he said his inspection was invalid because he is only allowed to inspect commercial vehicles. After some discussion he agreed to put the sticker on the coach. Once I had the sticker, each succeeding year I was able to get a new inspection because the guy saw the sticker from the previous year, up until one guy said no more. It has to be a non-commercial inspection.

So I went to the guy down the stree that did all my cars and he agreed to give me a sticker if I told him everything was OK. He was honest and said he did not have a clue, and he was just being helpful. I was happy and he had a few bucks extra in his pocket.

Here in TN we have no inspection requirements. I'm glad because these buses just confuse a whole lot of folks.

Doesn't TX require a Class B for you to drive the bus Gary? I think Bill Miller just got his in TX.

dreamchasers Guest

Default Class B

Jon,

Yes, Texas law requires a Class B drivers license to drive vehicles over 26,000 pounds, non commercial vehicles. Lee and I both took the short written test supplement and driver's test here in Livingston, Texas.

The test focuses on less than a dozen pages in the Texas Drivers Handbook. We both studied for a few days before. Passed, No Problem!

Hector

Gary,

Sounds like the first Cool Bus Tool investment you should make is this one:

surgeprotection.jpg

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Cool%2.../Surgepg1.html

mike

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Gary,

surgeprotection.jpg

mike
    Gary, I almost hate to admit it, but Mango is right about getting this voltage checker. It would have saved me a ton of misery if I had purchased one and used it awhile back. And besides, Mango gets a nice commission on every one he helps sell

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Gary,

surgeprotection.jpg

mike
    I agree. I have owned mine for almost two years now. I never plug in " without protection." One of the led numbers failed a month ago. Called them and they sent a new one and a prepaid label to return the original one free of charge, no questions asked !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty