Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best toad?

lewpopp Guest

Well I followed directions and I got this to come up by pure luck. You would think the way our leaders walk around and consider themselves the masters of the computers, they would come up with an easier way to post. Harry, this put me in a full sweat. I'll bet I couldn't do it again.

As for going thru any reduction like Dale sayes, I'm lucky for what I did.

As for my new driver, Casey bitches at me for him having short legs. I told him I've have some similiar problems all my life so live with it.

I submitted this picture to the local newspaper and they printed it with a small blurb I wrote up about Casey and his travels.

Harry, some how we have to ignore the computer buffs. Hope all is well.

I'm still happy with my coach. I'd better be. Headed in for heart surgery sometime in the next 10 days. Just failed a heart Cath yesterday. Wish me luck.

We're not going to Branson because we stayed at that same campground and I think it sucks. Good luck to the guys with trailors. They say it is a new KOA (Kiss our Ass) but it is a new location in an old campground.

Lew

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Lew:
    What a great picture!

Hang tough!
    Last edited by Jim_Scoggins; 07-22-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Lew:

The very best of success with your upcoming heart operation. You have a wonderful heart! The docs need to figure that out and you will be just fine.

Best wishes and prayers from Helen and Jeff!

[QUOTE=lewpopp;15963]Well I followed directions and I got this to come up by pure luck. As for my new driver, Casey bitches at me for him having short legs. I told him I've have some similiar problems all my life so live with it.

Gotta love Casey, he is just he cutest pup with lots of charisma just like his owner

Lew, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please ask Kathy to let us know how you are doing and remember, these surgeries are performed everyday and I have no doubt that you will be just fine. You will likely have more energy then you have had for a long time and that could be dangerous I can just picture you chasing Kathy around the bus-ha~!

win42 Guest

Lew: Were all pulling ( praying ) for you. It should make a new man out of you after the proceedure.
    Thanks for the wonderful news on the Branson campground. That should cut down on the crowd. What picture are you talking about? The avatar?
    Keep a stiff upper lip, but don't try and talk with it.

Heart surgery is a goood thing these days Lew, guaranteed to make a new man out o ya. Agree with your Branson decision and will look forward to seeing you guys next spring. Be there!

lewpopp Guest

Boy, here I did it again. It may never hapen again cuz I have dial-up and it takes forever.

Ray ..Here is the picture of the 2006Saturn Vue I want $18500 fo amd the rest of the 3 year warranty is still in force for the next 20-21 months.

I took a rear shot but I am short tempered tonite and my wife had to lead me thru the first one.

Lew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ford Excursion as a Toad

Ok guys, now I need more help, and I still haven't got a bus in my barn, NOT even a barn yet, but more on that later.

I need your valued opinions on whether or not I should turn my daily driver into a tow vehicle?

I love my 02 Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel SUV. (8800lbs) Should I spend about $5K to do all the necessary things to it to become a toad, ( brake system, lights, Remco Drive Shaft Collar, 10,000lb Tow bar ) OR should I spend at least double that for another towable, that I need to insure, outfit the same way, but will weigh 1/2 the weight of the Excursion.

The way I understand it; Since I already own, insure, drive and store my Excursion, converting it to the toad is the least expensive and best way to get a quality toad. But that much weight being towed, just concerns me, mainly fuel consumption towing.

Please don't hold back and let me know your thoughts, and what you really think??? ( Like anybody holds back on this forum ? )

And as always, thanks.

Gary S.

Curious as to how that adds up to $5000, unless you give your checkbook and keys to someone and tell them to make it work.

If it is a 4X4 is it towable with the transfer case in neutral? If not I am not sure a driveshaft disconnect will do the job since both axles have the potential to drive the transmission. Is the plan if it cannot have the transfer case put in neutral to put it in 2 WD and disconnect the rear drive shaft?

As to the weight, if I had my druthers our tow vehicle would be as small and light as possible. We towed a 3600 lb Jeep for 200,000 miles and it was the right size to keep our length legal, it was big enough to take four adults, and light enough so hills were not an issue. The Hummer meets the above criteria except the weight is 6700 lbs. You know you are towing it going up a hill.

A tow vehicle is a mess after a trip, and the bigger it is the bigger pain in the butt it is to get it cleaned up. As states get hungry for revenues over length vehicles become targets, especially if you have a heavy foot. A heavy vehicle will impact your fuel mileage.

If you have to add a brake pacjage because of the weight, and a driveshaft disconnect to make it towable it is already getting to be a pain. What I liked most about the Jeep was it was light enough that brakes really weren't necessary (probably a good idea, but not necessary) and to tow it we just put the transfer case in neutral. The more you have to monkey with while hooking up the greater the probability you will have flat tires on the bottom, or some other such calamity.

Gary, you might speak with kevin who traded his heavy toy trailer for a Suburban tow car. He seems to like the size for his familly and carrying cappacity.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide