Thread: Replacement Hoses

dreamchasers Guest

Default Replacement Hoses

Last week, I was at Prevost Fort Worth having several items reworked. One of the items was my dash A/C. During the second week in December, 2007, Prevost Fort Worth replaced my A/C compressor and recharged the A/C system. As I left the parking lot, I switched on the dash A/C and the air discharge was ambient. Prevost Fort Worth checked the system for leaks again and noted that several A/C hoses located in the Wabasto compartment were leaking around the fittings. After a brief discussion with the techs, it was determined that Prevost Fort Worth did not stock A/C hoses (Remember, this was in Texas?) and the only resource was to replace the hoses with hoses made by a third party that were stainless steel braid covered. They estimated the hose replacement cost (Rear Only!)at $700 plus. The Prevost tech, indicated that the hose ends could be repaired and that normally the leaks were caused by the hose ends being compressed with the fitting, rubber drying and shrinking. To my amazement, the tech disassembled the hose end fitting, cut off the end of the hose that was compressed with a rotary grinder (A/C hoses have a steel braid inter core for strength), and reterminated to a leak free connection. The tech stated that the hose ends in the Wabasto compartment area are the worst offenders for leaking over time.

My plans are to replace all the dash A/C hoses in the front and rear (If and when the system leaks again) now that I see how easy the connectors can be disassembled and reconnected. The connectors can be used on new hoses. The connectors are not crimped with high pressure tools, but are screwed together.

Question - 1, What would be a good source for purchasing these high pressure A/C hoses. Two sizes are used, #12 and #8. These hoses are covered with a blue fiber braid covering, with an inter steel braid for strength. I need bulk hoses, no fittings. Any internet sources that have been used before?

Question - 2, Several individuals have mentioned they either have or will replace the hoses for the Wabasto system. Are these special hoses? Again, where is a good source for purchase?

Also, I took numerous pictures of issues concerning my visit to Prevost Fort Worth and as soon as I figure out the picture posting process, I will post. A real eye opener for the need for POG resources.

Hector

Hector,

On my previous coach I had several fittings corrode due to the fact we ran it year round in the snowbelt. They were on such items as the power steering pump so like the AC hose they had the steel core hose.

I went to a hose shop here in Knoxville and they had everything imaginable to replace or service any hose issue on my coach. When I replace all the converter installed coolant hoses next summer I will be bringing a box of all the hoses and parts and fittings I intend to replace and I will let them set me up with the parts and materials.

I suspect any large town has at least one shop that specializes in hoses and fittings.

BTW, I also used my die grinder and a 3" X 1/16" abrasive cutoff blade to cut the hose. Worked like a charm and made a neat clean cut.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A large manufacturer of the hose ends and fittings is www.Aeroquip.com

I'm almost sure this is what your working with and you will find this stuff local. Many of the air lines and engine and trans oil lines terminate to these fittings as well. There are some tricks I have learned to unscrew the fittings from themselves while working in the field without the assistance of a vice. This hose end repair would be a good show and tell for a thread of its own.

We all have these fittings everywhere on the bus. The ends are indeed infinitely reusable.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 01-21-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Lightbulb

Hector, some sources for hoses are as follow. Each Co. though has something a little different than the other.

BE SURE YOU KNOW THE FLARE ANGLE YOU ARE MATCHING WHEN YOU GO TO BUY. THERE ARE DIFFERENT ANGLES FOR DIFFERENT USES, SUCH AS 37 AND 45 DEGREES. YOU MAY NOT USE A 37 deg. FITTING WITH A 45 degree HOSE END or VISEVERSA!! Different hoses also have different properties of use, such as pressure rating and chemical compatibility such as, water, gasoline, oil, alcohol, etc!

Any good auto parts, truck parts and some companies listed as rubber co ( such as Kohler Rubber) will have components and hose ready to makeup anything you need. They charge next to nothing for the assembly, so unless you just want the satisfaction of doing it yourself I would go with that. (unless you want the capability of a roadside repair with hand tools)

Something else to think about on the AC system is that if you do it yourself you will need the equipment to evacuate the system of refrigerant and to add new and pressure test it.

http://www.russellperformance.com/
    http://www.holley.com/index.asp?division=Earls
    http://www.aeroquip.com/
    http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=481

Remember what Mikedee found out, that there is a minimum bend radius allowed for any particular hose for maximum hose life!