Thread: Insurance ??

Hybrid View

Ray, I'm a babe in the woods as far as the nuances, but having experienced a serious fire in our coach I can say that your insurer needs to understand you do not have a conventional RV. You have a very limited number of locations to repair the damage, the repairs will be expensive and will require that you or your repairer buy parts from Prevost, and that not anybody with a tow truck can get the job done.

We were still smoldering when I had National Interstate on the phone, and they gave me a claim number and agreed the coach had to go direct to Prevost for repairs.

Anybody unfamiliar with our conversions is going to struggle with the concept of doing repairs to the original quality level. As far as contents and other coverage I can't offer anything because no personal property was damaged or lost, and despite $82,000 worth of damage in the engine area we lived in it with every single house system working while we loaded the contents in a rental truck. That all despite every battery having melted. There are pictures of it somewhere on this site or the other one.

Indeed why I am a bit concerned with the coverage I have via AAA. I guess you never know how good things are (or aren't) until you have to exercise the coverage.

Do you think your luck with National Interstate was due to it being a good company understanding your needs, or being lucky you got ahold of a good claims agent?

I looked at the Explorer insurance website, and it talks about "auto insurance". No mention of being able to correctly handle anything beyond that. I'm not saying they can't, just that their publicity wouldn't have led me to their door.

I will try to connect with one of their agents in the morning to compare coverages.