Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric/Air Awning

The two diagonal poles are designed to push the awning out by spring pressure, and the motor aids the opening. When closing, the motor does all the work to roll the awning closed. As far as I can tell, there is only the motor which holds the awning closed. There is also air assist to extend the two verticle wall poles out an additional approx. 3 feet.
    I thought the design was better than the typical manual or electric awnings. I guess not.
    Mine has wind sensors as well for closing in highwinds while extended.
    On my previous Country Coach Lexa, the GFI Breaker tripped which powered the Gerard Awnings which disabled the entire system. The Breaker was defective and I had to Jump the circuit to an adjoining breaker. So, don't count on Wind Sensors! Close your awnings at night and when your not at you Coach!
    Jon- The Gerard roof units are enclosed in a aluminum Box, so I do not think they would un- roll while driving down the road.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Gary the electric brake on my tarp motor is very streamline if you did not know what you were looking at you might not see it. It is no more than a larger end cap on the motor mabye 1 or 2 inches thick with an additional 2 smaller guage wires going to it.

When current is put to the motor it simoltaniously releases the brake. Originally there was a 12 volt motor and a 12 volt brake but what was happining was the motor was pulling the lions share of the juice and starving the brake causing it to drag and prematurly wear out and then it would begin to fail and drift when not in use. Sure-Lock the manufacturer replaced all the 12 volt brakes with 9 volt brakes to compinsate for the low voltage situation and that was the ticket.

Once again sorry about your luck, these are costly features, and we would all do ourselves good to learn more about there opporation.

tootles

Stelan73 Guest

Default Awnings

My wife and I were returning from Ft Myers in April and the awnings on the starboard side decided to deploy on their own. Luckily we were on a 2 lane road and were able to do an agressive side manuver to the shoulder. we had about a 4 inch rip. I compare it to having an airplane door come open at 1500 feet. I spoke to zipdee and they told me that sometimes the awning base plates aren't installed exactly square and problems occur. Anyway we had Liberty adjust and so far no problems but I always prod the awning caps with a pole just to see if I can get any movement. Isn't it interesting how the same problems occur with all of us?

steve

As a follow up, I spoke with Liberty and Zip Dee today. They said it should not have happened. So, I have to think there was something wrong with the brake, or locking mechanism. I have ordered a new one and they will send it out to California in a couple of weeks. Apparently, they have all my information on their computer regarding my Coach.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide