Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chasing Air Leaks

Joe, I believe you have a different system than we do. I don't recall seeing those on either of my coaches.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Parts came from Elgin.

Question

Joe,
    You could take the old and leaking relay apart and try to see why it was leaking and if there is anything you could do about it and it might further your understanding of how it works and why the new unit is leaking.
    What exactly is the function of the Relay?
    I would recommend tightening the mentioned screws evenly with a torque wrench or screwdriver only. Is a rebuild kit available or is this a cheap part that doesn't warrant rebuilding? Quite a while back you mention that your air tank had gallons of water in it and that the air dryer wasn't properly functioning. Now that you are working on the rest of the air system have you noticed any ill effects of that water in the system. Also in the same line have you found moisture further into the air system?
    Are these air components returnable or are they like many electricals,(no returns)?
    Just wondering
    JIM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim

Yes this is what moisture does. It's about 90 bucks. If not installed, returnable.
    I am concidering slightly loostening the screws at the flange on the old one a little and then saturating the exposed edge of the diaphram with brake fluid with the intent of swelling the rubber enough to get it to seal up after retightening. If that fails I'll completly seperate it at the flange and reassemble with gasket sealer and try that.

May have to do it to the new ones they leak as well, mabye a little less than half as much, nice hu
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 04-15-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Question

Joe,
    If you take the old unit apart check if the mating surfaces that come together and leak are flat and not warped or miss machined/made.
    How does the relay function. What is it's function? Is there some sort of valving or pressure regulating devise in the cavity in the gasket area? Why is there such a large cavity covered by the leaking cap?
    JIM