Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting to larger tires on front axle

The problem with transferring weight is the toal weight of the coach is heavy. This was one of the earlier prevost double slides done by Vantare. To say the least it is heavy. total weight with 40% water and full fuel is over 52K! Therefore by transferring weight I will have other problems.

Kim

Kim Sloan, How did that much weight get on the front axel ? Was it a dependable scale ? Is the Bus remodeled inside with heavy tile or granite ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Apart from what may be a very expensive conversion from the 315 to 365 tires I'm not sure there is much that can be done.

That sounds like doom and gloom, but at the weights Kim states the 315 tires are acceptable. According to the Michelin charts the tire is good for 9090 at 130 PSI and speeds to 75.

It is at the limit, but unless the axle weight is greater than 18180 or the weight is biased towards one side or the other it should be perfectly acceptable to run those tires. If it were me I would not start rolling without checking pressures, and when the date code said 5 years those tires would get pulled off, but apart from that I think Kim is OK.

Knowing the front axle loads I would also be very careful about checking my hub oil levels and brake pad thickness. The bearings and brakes are going to get a workout. As a final precaution I would also be running my hands across the tires often to check for the first signs of misalignment or poor balance. Kim made a comment about the heat of his tires, and if the coach has too much toe in for example those tires are going to get real hot real fast.

Jon thank you for all of the help. The alignment is good (checked and corrected by JoSam in Orlando. As stated before I run with Smartire which does inform we of the temps. My concern is not the ability to take the weight by the tires. Michelim does report that the tires wil take the weight at 130lbs (which is the pressure I run). My concern is that the wheels are only good for 120lbs. I know they say there is 10% fudge factor, but I hate being in that area. However, I think I am going to wait until after POG III.

Kim
    02 Vantare XLII S2
    06 Dodge Megacab