Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glass care

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Ted from Wipeout just left... he stopped by and showed me all his products.

He was able to take what I thought was a deep bad scratch in my paint and get it out in about 10 minutes.

He also used his polishing ball and the same liquid to remove some of the hard water marks from one of my windows. It looks like it will take some time of you have a lot of watermarks since you have to buff them, but the results look great.

We used the same combo to polish my marker lights (which were creamy instead of clear) and to polish the chrome on my mirrors (which was looking terrible). Everything looked like new afterwards.

I took some before/after photos of everything, which I'll post at a later date... I have to get some work done today.
    Ben,

Was this a Huck Finn / Tom Sawyer experience or did you have to lend a hand too? Work?!?! That takes a lot of fun out of life!

Ben Guest

I sat back and watched as Ted worked his magic. The only problem is that now I have a spotted bus... clean shiny spots on an otherwise dirty bus. He showed me how to use everything and completely got rid of a scratch, but I still have to clean the rest of the bus to make it match all those clean shiny spots.

I'll show you how to use everything if you do all the work

Just tried Nu-glass 755. Found it at a CarQuest Autoparts Store. A call to Duragloss confirmed CarQuest is a distributor for all of the Duragloss auto products. It works well as a cleaner and the instructions say it may be applied by hand or by buffer. By hand it didn't remove the water spots on our rig. It has the creamy consistency of 3M Finesse polishing compound and will remind you (if you're old enough to remember) of old fashoned Glass Wax. Would have to agree with Joe and go for the 4-0 steel wool or buffing compound for serious water spots. Either one would be faster and cheaper than Nu-glass. For what it's worth. (.02)

Jack, Got the goody box today. Read your instructions. Cant wait to try it out. Since I will be working on glass in a vertical position, I assume the Duragloss and the Cerium will need to be pre-mixed. Perhaps I can empty half of the Nuglass bottle out and add the Cerium so I can shake to mix. What do you think and what ratio should I use ? Also, is the optical quality Cerium higher grade because it is less abrasive ? Should it be used as a finish coat ? Never heard of the other product you sent. Looks like it could be a stand alone chemical to use by itself ie.shower doors. Thanks for all your help. Jim Keller

P.S. I didnt find an invoice in the box. You could send me a bill for any amount of money and I would pay based on the amount of time I have invested in the fourteen windows on this bus !

Red face Glass Care

Well ,I guess I,ll try the Steel Wool a little bit. I ordered some cleaner from Wipe-out, but it may not be the right stuff. I can wait until POG. The question is 'where did these water marks come from, and is this going to be a continuing issue. I guess I will have to keep the Windows waxed as well. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary,

You might try Nu-Glass. It leaves a wax finish that covers up water spots. It feels like there is a slight abrasiveness to it also and I plan on using it with a buffer like it says on the bottle. Tried steel wool today, it works and is less messy than rubbing compound/buffer. Show and tell at POG.

BrianE What do you think about using steel wool ? I tried it with Nu Glass at the same time. It took the spots off but I am afraid the bus will be sitting just right in the sun sometime and my windows will look frosted. Do you think it is safe to use ?

I am waiting for Jack the glass man to get back to me on Post # 34. Between the steel wool, Nu Glass, Cerium, and a slew of other chemicals I am now confused.

Brian, you also said Nu Glass is a wax finish that covers up water spots. Do you think that is what is happening and the spots could re-appear ?

Jim,

Definitely not being an expert (sounds like Jack might be), would think the effectiveness of these remedies would vary greatly with the degree of water spotting each of us has to contend with. My first impression of Nu-Glass is that it's good stuff, but would only remove minor spots unless (?) used with a buffer, it does a good job of hiding them though. I have used automotive rubbing compound with a buffer in the past and it works well, doesn't haze or scratch, but is messy. I used some 4-0 steel wool the other day on a small area and it seemed to work well. It's pretty fine stuff so wouldn't GUESS: it would scratch or haze. Also, it's cheap and not messy.

As an added thought: Has anyone had experience with a cordless buffer? Along with Nu-Glass +/- Cerium, it might be the answer.

jim,i mix cerium and the duragloss in a plastic cup with a paint stirrer,the optical grade will remove stock quicker,the optical grade might have as much as 40% pure cerium.the sparkle product really works well on the shower in my coach(2001 marathon).Feel free to call me if i am not at work,leave your phone # and i will call back.i am curious if you will have the same results as i did.don't worry about an invoice,the information gained from this board has already paid for the stuff many times over.jack

So what about using 4-0 steel wool on the glass. Would anyone else out there use it on there windows ? I think it should be o.k. but I dont want to be the only one at POGIII with FROSTED windows ! Jack, what do you think ?