Thread: New to POG

Default New to POG

Just bought our 1st Prevost - `97 XL45 Royale no-slide & a `18 Jeep Wrangler toad.

We're a long time RV towed owners and Class A renters including 2 weeks in a 2006 Prevost H3 2-slide Featherlite and 2 weeks in a 2008 XL2 2-slide Marathon, both DD 12.7L 500-515Hp (30 days consecutive over 8800 miles with an H2 toad). The month spent between the 2 really highlighted the Prevost difference as a coach/chassis as well as the differences between the H3 & XL platforms. We fell in love with the XL platform from exterior cosmetic, interior (lower exterior profile/bridge clearance, flat floor and passenger visibility while driving) but missed the additional height/volume of the H3 basements. We ran into issues with both buses and their slides, not so much from a mechanical operation standpoint, we did have minor mechanical issues with both coaches and slides, and a DD Series 60 issue that caused us a 1 day delay on the H3. The main issue was tight parking spaces about 1/3rd the time where the slides could not be extended (tree, electrical pedestal or something in the way), accessing basement and systems under the slides, no forward visibility of passengers sitting in the left side sofa (staring at the side of a slide out), blocked cabinets and tight galley & bedroom while underway. The conclusion for us with the slides is they are fantastic for long term stationary use - example being parking at RV resort for a week or more. We had 3 adults and 3 kids on that trip and had we not had slides when we were parked I promise you we would have returned from that trip a couple people light.

We spend about the same time driving as we do sleeping. A drive to a attraction/destination, camp for the night, go the the attraction the following day, camp that night, leave in the morning for the next attraction. 3 nights in the same location is a long stay for us. A no-slide simply works for our lifestyle, simple being the key word, not to mention the structural and mechanical variables/points of failure that are eliminated - this was all pondered/concluded after a month in 2 different busses, both with $2M +/- build sheets. Based upon the coaches we were in the Marathon seemed way better construction than the Featherlite, yet that could also be the difference between an H3 and XL2, maintenance (probably), subsystem differences (probably) installed by different converters. We're not full timers, rather extended length travelers, quick in, quick out, move on to the next destination. Now with only 3 as the others have grown up, off to school and moved out, we're able to forego the bunk beds as a Jack-knife sofa sleeper is about as quick and painless as it gets with a bedding drawer below.

We have mainly been an offshore sportfishing boat family with the majority of our free time being spent up and down the TX coast from MX to LA, effectively RV'ing in our boat weather plugged in at a dock or using the generator & water maker on the hook. The main difference/benefit I can already see if that all the Prevost systems are pretty accessible vs off in a tiny access hole through a cabinet or hatch under the dinette, bed, etc... Gone is the seasickness associated with working below the water line, upside down, in some contorted position while accessing/fixing something through one of those tiny hatches while bobbing in 4-6ft seas. Other than that they seem pretty much the same, if something isn't broke, just wait.

I feel the coach is very wall maintained with maintenance records back to 1998 - No records from original owner (97-98), major history until 2004, then full history to present. For example every suspension component was replaced less than 2 years and 6k miles ago (bags, arms, bushings, etc.). Along with half a pass-through basement full of tubs of spare parts (new, not take offs) we received the Owners, O&M and parts manuals for the bus, engine and every subsystem. What we are lacking is the Royale manuals. I have a couple but nothing with any significant detail. I have reached out to Royale Phoenix, thanks to this forum identifying them as having Royale documentation on all but 3 coaches - hopefully ours is not one of those 3.

We've put 2k miles on it so far and its everything a Provost is advertised to be. It runs like a scalded dog with the yellow engine upgrade while being quite, smooth, sure footed, etc.. The air steering trim is a pretty cool feature. Just dealing presently with the never ending, piddly maintenance items. Recharged dash AC, ordered flapper seal for toilet, swap bulbs to LED, replace burned out dash and switch bulbs, new wiper blades, etc.. There is some laminates that I need to glue back down as the glue gave up after 27 years...LOL. Still in the honeymoon phase with the purchase but hitting the road in a week ultimately for Alaska so hopefully things stay the same at the end of our 2 month adventure. I'd like to think we know/knew what we saddled ourselves with from previous RV rentals and well over a decade of active boat ownership and use. Can't be any worse maintenance and parts availability wise than a boat. The Prevost dealer has been just as great as everyone has stated on the forum, already visited the closest repair center and ordered some new wipers and other items.

Major upgrades, soon, are going to be a washer/dryer combo once we decide on which one - apparently it already has the W/D prep with breaker/electrical and plumbing. Once I get the inverters figured out we may upgrade from the 2x2500W to 2 or 3x4000W, probably stick with Xantrex (Heart Interface is in there presently). It has some massive 400+ amp alternator on top of a separate 75 amp alternator so there should be plenty of juice to not need a generator running down the road. The learning curve is pretty steep presently and while I hunt down item X I learn about item Y, Z, A, B & C in the process. Typical new owner stuff.

Well, back to lurking and learning, I've only scratched the surface of the knowledge contained in this forum.
    Eddie
    1997 XL45 Royale
    2018 Jeep Wrangler

Hello no name! Great to have you in the group. Let us know how the Alaska trip goes.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament