Thread: Long time RV-ers considering an older Prevost

Default Long time RV-ers considering an older Prevost

I just joined the group so will provide some background.

We are essentially empty nesters (with some remaining dependencies LOL) and live a bit outside Nashville TN.

We have been RVing for 22+ years starting with a travel trailer, then a 36' double slide Class A Gasser (1999 Tiffin Allegro Bay) for 15+ years, and currently own a 2022 Grand Design Momentum 395MS Fifth wheel toy hauler that we drag around with a 2020 F450. We use the toy hauler to tote 2-3 motorcycles - smaller street bikes, and a few track bikes since I coach/instruct for a track day organization. We also take bicycles, kayaks, etc with us when we travel.

We started looking at diesel pushers again after a recent trip where we broke a major suspension attachment on the fifth wheel, and then also experienced a HORRIBLE ride on the crappy roads thru Indiana. It got me thinking about 2 things:

1) How can we get a better "ride" experience as we start thinking about longer distance traveling
    2) How can we get something that is not a 100k+ piece of hot garbage (sticks and staples references appropriate).

As I started looking, the major turn off has been the curb side of many of the Class A's have almost ZERO windows or view. We like to camp by lakes and other scenery, and our TH has a slide with windows on 3 sides that afford us lots of natural light and great views. We recalled the Prevost (and other bus conversions) being more "windowy" and started looking at them.

So, if we add item #3) - windows and natural light, it looks like the Prevost conversions check all of our boxes!

While it is very clear that the bus conversions can be demanding from a maintenance standpoint, especially older ones, they are actual designed well and somewhat designed to be maintained. If you have ever seen the wiring and plumbing in a newer sticks and staples RV, even the expensive ones, they are a train wreck!

So now we are considering the possibility of selling the Truck and the TH, and perhaps purchasing an older used unit and a smaller pickup that I can stick 1-2 motorcycles in, or perhaps on occasion tow a smaller trailer with a few bikes for weekend racetrack excursions. We figure another plus is the dogs will fare much better riding in a Class A again vs being stuck in the cab of the pickup.

Anyway sorry for the long intro, but I am starting the education process to learn more. We may go out looking locally in the coming weeks, and perhaps even take a test drive to see if it is something that might fit us.

Thanks for listening!

Steve
    Last edited by stimpee; Yesterday at 09:37 AM.
    --
    Currently shopping/considering a bus purchase
    Late 1990's - Early 2000's X or H no-slide
    Current Rig is 2022 Grand Design Momentum 395MS Toy Hauler pulled by 2020 F450

There are some great prevost older ones out there but you have to search to find them. A friend of mine sold a great bus today due to his wifes medical conditions. He had gone through it anticipating great travel experience.
    Thesre buses can be a bankrupt if you don't do a good research on the unit and kow what you are buying.
    You need a good inspection of the bus before purchase.
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

Ditto:
    Bought ours about 6 years ago. I got a deal and knew I was purchasing a fixer upper. Well, the hole I bought was a lot deeper than I thought, I have learned far more than I ever expected to and spent far more $ than I expected to. if you’re mechanically inclined it helps immensely, if not you will need a healthy bank account.
    On the flip side; there is no other class A platform that is safer than a Prevost conversion and probably no other (older) class A that has the parts and service available that Prevost does. Remember, Prevost are primarily made to transport people and have to meet rigorous Canadian & USA DOT requirements. As an additional note: being primarily a commercial platform they have robust serviceable parts and for the most part readily available parts (even for older vintages). When you own and register your Prevost (regardless of age) with Prevost PASS, you have 24/7/365 access (by phone) to a Prevost service tech and guidance to the nearest service. Prevost Pass is intended for commercial charter bus companies to keep them on the road and moving but available to motor home owners too.
    Owning a Prevost has been one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences all at the same time. I would encourage anyone to pursue ownership of a Prevost, but just do it with your eyes wide open.
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Sounds like a great plan to me! I don't know your budget but there are a lot of older coaches out there that have been treated very well. You are in a great part of the country for this as well. You have the premier Prevost service center in Goodlettsville, East Tennessee Luxury Coach and many others for support, education and sales.

It sounds like you like working on things so you might look at one of the converters that place more emphasis on ease of maintenance rather than on how much bling and technology they can squeeze into 45 feet.

You already know what you need to live on the road so you know what you are looking for. Learn about the different converters, look at several and have a great time.

As George said, a good pre-purchase inspection will save you a ton of money and heart ache. Even after a good inspection, I would hold back $20k or so for things that will just show up randomly. After that budget $10 to $12k per year and you should be good if you are doing the small to medium things yourself.

As you learn about the different converters and start to have questions, put them here and this amazing group of people will be more than happy to help you.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Would highly recommend you stop by Olympia Luxury Coaches in Murfreesboro, TN (outside Nashville) to be able to view several different conversions of Prevost Coaches. They generally have Liberty, Marathon, Millennium, Featherlight, Emerald, Country Coach, Royal, etc. inventory on hand.

Austin Hicks (General Manager/Business Partner) is exceptionally knowledgeable of all things Prevost, honest, honorable, fair priced and has surrounded himself with some of the industry’s best mechanics, Operations and Sales personnel.

You can view their current Inventory (as well as, listing of Incoming Coaches) at their website:
    www.OLYMPIALUXURYCOACHES.COM

Or, call their Office: (615) 280-1278
    Address: 4228 Northstar Dr., Murfreesboro, TN. 37129

We purchased our 2003 Liberty Classic XLII (non-slide) from Olympia 3-years ago and could not have been any happier with our selection! We had Gil Johnson (now Olympia’s Customer Service Director) perform a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) over the course of several days and ended up with a totally Zeroed out Coach…in combination with Upgrades and changes that Austin had already identified and committed to make before letting us drive off. Everything was done 1st rate and completed as promised. We continue to see Austin and Brad Land (Sales Manager) at events and shows and consider them good friends. We’ve also referred several friends/acquaintances to Olympia that likewise purchased and Love their Coaches!

Good fortune with your search (as mentioned above…keep @$20K held back to address any unexpected/unknown costs as you are driving a house down bumpy roads at speed).
    Greg & Deb
    2003 Prevost XLII Liberty Lady Classic non-slide
    2017 Lincoln MKX Reserve
    Pelican Lake Motorcoach Resort
    Naples, FL

There are several that have stacker trailers paint matched to the coach that may work for your needs. Put a Jeep or the like in the bottom and your bikes up top. The price adder for the trailers appear to be very reasonable considering what a basic 16ft cargo trailer costs these says vs a decked out stacker. In my younger years I drug a 26' travel trailer behind a Chevy truck with race bikes in the bed and all the in/out storage of the RV full of tools, tires and parts - A stacker behind a Prevost would have been paradise!

I did read on here that some of the early DD 12.7 Series 60's had piston separation (at the wrist pin) issues resulting in a rod through the block (I believe it was the early-mid `90s) - DD covered them under warranty but warranty on a 30yo engine is long gone - In-frame rebuilds are in the $30k-50k+ range (depending on how extensive the rebuild) so dropping one out underneath the bus (VW style) is probably going to add labor costs. New engines in the 14L 500-600Hp range are pushing $100k and rebuilt ones in the $40k range depending on what paint color you get (I have seen several running take-out, 300-400k mile Cat 3406E 14.6L 6NZs on the market in the $25k range). I wouldn't worry too much about the B500 transmission - you can buy rebuilds all day for $2500 or less and even have one beefed up from Weller or the like for under $5k - basically the same prices as a Chevy truck.

Several listings have advertised complete suspension maintenance, A-arms, air bags, bushings, tie rod ends, etc., as well as brakes (rotors, pads/shoes, etc.). Seeing the Prevost receipts I have from the previous owner performing all these services I can attest it's something worth paying $10k+ more for a coach that has this completed recently/already (and documented) as you'll spend triple that doing it after purchase. Tires are another big ticket item, at basically $1200-1500/tire (Michelin) that's $8-10k. Point is you can be looking at a $150k coach that will cost you $150k, or look at a $120k coach that will cost you $160k, or worse an $80k coach that will cost you $200k.

I prefer to deal with individuals as I believe you can get the best deal not to mention talking to them you get a feel for their mechanical inclination, attitude towards and execution of maintenance (preventative and repair) as well as their budget/financial threshold for pain in regards to maintenance. Most of these seem to be very loved by their owners. Owners who are less mechanically inclined are somewhat at the mercy of the repair shop. This means maintenance was left up to a shop to dictate the needed maintenance and repairs and usually the credit card came out and tens of thousands were spent over the years. If the shop they used was iffy, the maintenance will be iffy too. On our heavy trucks we find the iffy shops (this includes some dealerships - I have suffered one we just did a $45k in frame with that didn't make it 1200 miles) always suggest the easy to replace/quick repairs to run up the bill and neglect the maintenance that is really needed because it's time consuming and not high margin like, you need an new EGR cooler. Your turbo is out/bad wastegate actuator, etc.. However from my research, buying from an Olympia or similar and paying a premium price may actually wind up being the best deal as they seem to fix ("Zero" the coach), where I imaging they find/fix many issues. Also it appears, many times, they have sold the same coach 2-4 times already and know the history of it. I have no experience with them, but they, and a few others like them, were going to be my next call if I struck out with the few private sellers I called. IMO, seeing a 3ft stack of manuals for everything on/in the bus, a 4" binder full of repair and parts receipts, several bins of spare parts, etc. would be a good sign. Coupled with an owner that can talk your ear off in detail about each one of those receipts and tell you every little squeak and rattle would be divine.

At bit long as I just went through this process. Interior cosmetic items are cheap to repair - major mechanicals are not. Just my worthless opinions on the matter.

Happy hunting!
    1997 XL45 Royale
    2018 Jeep Wrangler