0 0%
  • Run gen and cruse air on the road

0 0%
  • Do nothing

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Old R-12 system for house a/c ?

Default Old R-12 system for house a/c ?

So I知 working on a 1992 monico the compressor and system is R-12 and it appears to be all leaked out ☹️. So ? Do you convert it to 134-A or scrap it and run the generator and the cruse air down the highway ? I知 not sure about the cost to convert yet ? But I got a 16 page report from prevost on how to do it and I知 not sure it痴 worth it ? My cruse air units are ok !

Wish I could help you with that one Bobby, fortunately mine was converted to R-134 by the previous owner. Not sure of everything it would entail for the conversion but I'm sure its a lengthy process.
    Jerry & Pam
    1993 Marathon XL40

For me, I would need to know the ballpark cost of the repair / conversion. Also I would think about how well the cruise air can deliver air to the driver with sun on the windshield (assuming we are talking dash air). Then decide if the cost is worth it and the added time on your cruisair units.

134a is the preferred replacement for the R-12 and is not that involved. However, you would be buying the compressor, dryer, refrigerant, cleaning the old oil out, etc. etc., the new compressor configuration may require some mounting modifications and assuming there is a leak that would need to be fixed.

More than $1,000 and less than $5,000?

Lets us know what you decide to do.

Also depending on the manufacturer and condition of your compressor, there are folks that have had good luck re-using it with R134a. That would cut your costs down considerably.
    Last edited by Fratto; 06-05-2024 at 10:07 AM.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

The. Cost to convert everything is about 23k give or take a couple! 70 hours labor , given to me by Prevost in NJ.

Ouch ... I was thinking dash air not Prevost bus air, so not much of what I said is relevant. That is a big number. Tough decision. Not having it will impact your resale though. You might talk to some re-sellers and see what the impact is and add that to your decision.

As far as operation goes, everyone that does not have bus air is running roof tops or cruisair systems while on the road in warmer temperatures.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I would just run one of the rooftop airs and get down the road.
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach