Thread: Air Bag Replacement

Threaded View

Default Air Bag Replacement

I brought my bus home today to do some maintenance. As I had discussed in a previous thread, I had a significant leak in my right tag axle air bag. It took about 1/1/2 hour to replace it, because I wasn't really sure about the procedure. But I got it done and everything seems to be fine with the installation.

The bus still drops on the right side when I turn it off. Before removing the tag wheel, I placed 4" of plywood under all 4 of the drive wheels, so it would be off the ground a little. I then placed 2 jacks under the right side and jacked it up enough to make sure the bus wouldn't come down too low with me under it when I drained all the air. Every time I turn off the bus, I hear what sounds like air traveling through a pipe. It is very audible in the area where the front drive air bag and ride height valve are located (see attached picture). I have checked every fitting with soap, my ultrasonic leak detector and a hose (cheap stethoscope), and I can't find a leak. As the bus drops on that side, the noise subsides.

Now that I am out from under the bus, I am wondering if this could be caused by the fact that I still have the right side of the bus jacked up a little bit? The wheels are not off the ground, but it is sitting on the jacks. Could the ride heigth valve be trying to level the right side or does that valve even work when the bus is shut off?

I would go back out and let the jacks down, but it is dark and cold, and I have to jack the bus up again Monday so I can change the Air Dryer cartridge. Sorry for the long post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 01-20-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!