Well, I got here to Havasu where my bus lives these days and started doing some tasks that needed done.

One thing that bugs me, is the remote heads for my inverters have no backlighting. So every time I want to change settings on them, I have to have a little flashlight on hand to see the displays.

As I was checking out the function of my AutoGen (thanks to Tom for help) I noted once again that the inverters (screwed to the ceiling of one of the bays) have control heads that are backlit. So I decided to swap them out so I could have the neat lighted ones inside where I use them.

Marathon built a nice enclosure for them, and I pulled the four screws that hold the cover on to start working. I could hear fans running inside the inverters, and noted that the air temp inside the enclosure seemed high.

I also noted that there was a 24VDC muffin fan in the enclosure, but it was not running. Tracing the wires, the hot wire goes through a thermostat mounted on a piece of plastic between the two inverters. I thought I had found the easy fix as I found the wire up on top of the thermostat was disconnected. Soo I hooked it back up.

Still no fan. A check with a multimeter showed voltage on both sides of the thermostat, as well as at the terminal strip where the wires from the fan tie in. So the fan is dead..

Not that changing out a muffin fan should be a big deal.. But they chose to use ny-lock nuts on the fan, and the heads of the screws/bolts are not accesible from the inverter side. They are inside a chase Marathon built to channel the hot fan driven air from the compartment, to a verticle vent pipe going down through the floor of the compartment.

So if you try to put a wrench on the nuts, they just spin the bolts along with them.

I think the answer is to use a dremel & cutoff on the two that are easy to get at, then just break the fan out on the other two, then try to replace it with a new fan and use self tappers & loctite from the front side to hold it into place.

There is not much room between the inverter and the wall to get in and work on it. I had to go buy a small angle type screw gun (dang, had to buy another tool)

I took some pictures, and of course found I didn't leave a memory card reader in my camera bag... Sheesh.

Also come to find out, that the remote heads that were so easy to get out inside the bus, are mounted inside the inverter housing. I am not sure if I will be able to get them out with out dismounting them. And that looks to be a major chore!

If the wind quits howling out here, I will attack again tomorrow! Will have to start the search for a replacement fan as well.

Tom, does your bus have this little fan setup too ??