While at Aggieland with Loc and Tony C last weekend watching the ags whip my Sooners, I noticed an issue with the generator on Sat evening.

Went in the house and noticed some light flicker. Went to the Inverter panel and saw the number 2 jumping back and forth between "good A/C in" and "inverting." When the panel showed bad A/C, it was showing no current from the generator on #2 - #1 just fine. Voltage and frequency looked fine (~129v and 60 hz). It would just jump from current to no current, and charge to inverting. Also noticed a slight vibration when this occurred.

Went outside and the generator was doing a little bit of what caused me a problem about a year ago - oscillating, but on a much smaller scale. The oscillating coincided with the bad power on the 2nd leg. I shut the genset off as fortunately it was cool and all we needed was battery power for the night.

When I got home, I tried it again. It ran fine for a while with good numbers, but then started the flickering, and switching from bad to good A/C in on the 2nd inverter. Also did the vibration or oscillation deal.

Any ideas? I called and spoke with the guy at So-Tex generator who repaired the speed control and dampening setting (which keeps it from chasing itself by speeding up and slowing down the rpms- my interpretation). He was not sure what to think. He did say if the infamous generator shaft bearing starts going bad, you can get bad power.

I also had a complete shut down a few weeks ago dry camping in Norman in very high heat. Turned out to be a bad slow burn 8 amp ceramic inline fuse behind the panel. When I mentioned that to the So-Tex guy, he thought that was probably tied to the voltage regulator the way I described it. As Jon says, fuses blow for a reason and I had hoped this one was just old age and heat. They are recommending a 10 amp replacement so that made me feel all the better about the problem being solved.

Anyway, I am open to any suggestions as to trouble shooting other than taking it down to So-Tex which is likely what will happen. Any reason to believe this could be coming from the invertor/charger side?