Thread: What is the RPM of our alternators ?

Threaded View

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default What is the RPM of our alternators ?

Does anyone know what the average RPM is of our alternators (12 Volt House and/or 24 volt chassis) at cruising speed which I think is around 4,500-5,000 RPM's if I recall. I don't know what that translates into on the alernators. I'm certain it could changed (with a bigger pulley). I've got something extra I'm considering adding there and I hate to admit it's a generator head. Between 5kw and 10kw. Their just about the same size, maybe a tad larger than the 24 volt Delco on my bus. It's rated to turn at 1,800 RPM's. I think it's going to over rev beyond that but no certain. I presume it will burn up bearings or break in some fashinon if over reved. It may only be useful on the Hwy but that's ok. I belive some of the new converstions have something like this as an option. Here's a photo of one that I ran across for $300. I have to check and see it's 220 4 pole but I'm pretty sure I'll find out it is.

I haven't looked at it yet but it migh be possible to add it to the belt of the transfer box that runs the fan belt for the radiator if that is a lower RPM like I think it is but know neight RPM's on either point. The alternators that run off the main engine pulley must be 4,500 or more since they have pulley's on them.

Also, still trying to find out how to reset or trouble shoot the fire alarm sensor on my H3 shell. I have a post titled "H4-45 A/C head unit not powering on" that's only a day old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 08-17-2008 at 01:01 PM.