Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
John, here's the current plan, let me know what you think. I was planning on finding space an an RV resort in Lake Havasu area, and visiting it regularly on weekends as possible. As such I would show usage, park fees, grocery bills etc from AZ, but not necessarily a lot of traveling.

As I understand it, the BOE will send me a notice at 6 months to try and make me justify the no-tax payment. IF the coach is still out of the area at 6 months, using it as specified, what do you think, would that work? I'd also probably have at least a trip to POG rally in Oklahoma (or whereever).

IF that's not enough, I guess I could purchase a lot out where Warren has his lot in Lake Havasu RV resort. Would that be better. I would own a lot there, and my coach would be stored there (at least for 6 or more months).

It seems strange, even on the vehicles I've paid CA sales tax, I rarely used it in CA! My major trips, with the exception of two local trips were always out of state. I certainly stored it in state, but really, my driving and use was almost always out of state.

John, you mentioned intent. I will certainly read up a bit more on this, but isn't it perfectly valid to intend to use the coach outside of CA? And IF you do indeed use it outside of CA, then why isn't that sufficient, as long as I'm not storing it, simply waiting to transfer to CA. That specifically is mentioned as non-counting toward the 91 days.

There is also a second statue of the law, which is more confusing to me. And that is IF you bring the coach into the state within the 90 period, then you must prove it is outside of the state more than 1/2 of the next 6 months after it enters the state. It indicate use AND storage as valid in that case.
Ray

Ray,

First of all, where will the coach be licensed/registered? I would presume that you will get a 30 day trip permit from Florida. That being said, California is not an alternative because they (DMV) requires an inspection either by the DMV or a California Law Enforcement Officer; it has to be in California. This refers back to your last paragraph, they WILL collect USE tax at registration then you can file, better said APPEAL to get it back....tough one!

Arizona is one of those states that require a valid Arizona drivers license to register a vehicle and a valid Arizona proof of insurance card. Arizona has it's own way of handling proof of insurance and insurance carriers that do business in the state are required to notify the MVD (Arizona Motor Vehicle Division) that the vehicle is insured; if they do not receive proof within 30 days of vehicle registration then you will receive a certified letter that cancels the registration. The driving license is easy, they simply exchange the California License for an Arizona License and they do it right in the office, no temporary, new AZ License immediately.

Arizona will also want to inspect the vehicle once again by the MVD or an Arizona Peace Officer; they have a form that must be completed. California bases license fee's on what one paid, Arizona uses another method, what the vehicle is worth. The AZ MVD has the NADA and there are no Prevost Conversions in that book; this is where your negotiating skills come into play. Arizona VLF fee's are as high, sometimes a bit higher than California.

As I mentioned, Arizona has NO SALES (USE) tax on casual sales between individuals. They do, however, tax at the prevailing rate if the purchase was made through a dealer, a dealer in any state.

Lake Havasu is an ok place, although a bit geriatric until Spring Break comes around, then all hell breaks loose. It's also kinda, sort of, out of the way, not exactly "freeway close"....there are a number of places from Bullhead in the North and Yuma in the South that you can park/rent/lease or buy. Should you really want to do this on the cheap, consider Quaetzite...right on the 10 and probably the fastest reach from SoCal save possibly Yuma.

Personally, I would keep it out of California for at least 6 months then bring it in with the AZ plates and wait for them to expire before going to the DMV. Any questions and inform them you maintain two residences....if its good enouh for George Bush, its good enough for you! Keep that AZ DL handy, especially on the 10 in the vicinity of Indio!

Hope that helped a bit!