This is a bit of hindsight, and maybe some conjecture. In May of 2006 before heading off on a 1 week trip to Salt Lake City, I thought it would be good to have my A/C's serviced.

I took the bus to Prevost Mira Loma, and serviced the cruise airs, and the Country Coach A/C system. The filled it with R-12.

Well, there was a placard on the system which indicated there was some other refridgerant in the system, not R-12. Will Garner recently indicated the same on his system, it's like R-422 or something. It was very hard to read, I'll admit, but the techs didn't look at that, nor check what was in the current system.

At about 5 hours of use, the compressor completely froze, snapping all belts. My alternator was an external alternator, driven by a belt which also hit the A/C compressor, so when I lost that belt, I lost A/C and alternator at the same time.

Thus began a saga of many months and many thousands of dollars getting that A/C system working again.

So, the alternator was never a "problem", just I couldn't run it due to the A/C compressor being frozen solid.

Ray