Hi Tuga,

Sure was a good idea for you to post this thread so we can get some real world experience tales on slides. I am still very satisfied with my no slide coach!

I did want to add a bit of technical design info. Most plastic coaches have a very heavy and strong C channel frame that makes up the backbone of the chassis. The 'house' is built up on top of this structure. If slides are installed holes are cut in the sides and mechanisms are installed to operate the slide which "push" against the chassis when they are opened and closed. Some kind of seal is added so the weather stays out when the slides are both in or out.

Now, on a Prevost shell, the structure is completely different. The body of a Prevost is a truss like structure made up of many smaller members and without the heavy channel frame. If you were to cut a large hole in the side of this for a salon slide, you would severely weaken the structural integrity of the shell. This is why Prevost resisted doing it for so many years when the rest of the industry was installing slides in everything. And when they finally did build slides, they incorporated the huge multi pin locking devices when the slides are closed. These pins reinforce the shell to gain back the integrity lost by cutting the hole. You will not see this type of design in plastic coaches because they do not need it.

See the picture which I have posted before for details on the truss design.

http://www.prevostcar.com/DB/gallery...ructure_1l.jpg

I would really like to see the engineering behind the Valid or other slide designs to see how they maintain shell integrity.

So, aside from the above, my preference is for no slides for the following reasons:

A non slide is plenty big for 2 people
We often stay in places where opening the slide is not practical
While on the road, with slides closed the inside is often cramped
Less weight
Less mechanical issues to worry about
Less likelihood of squeaks and rattles developing
Never need to climb on the roof to remove snow, leaves, etc.
Less first cost