I am in the process of adding a simple means of by-passing my inverter(s) in the event one of them should fail.

As my coach is now wired, if an inverter should fail I will not be able to get 120 volt AC current to the circuits served by that inverter. Is that a big deal? In my mind I see that as a problem because those are important circuits. One handles my refrigerator. others handle such things as the microwave, forward outlets, rear outlets, TV, auxiliary compressor, etc.

I am able to get power to the outlets in question, but to do so I have to join the wires supplying power to the inverter, to the wires supplying power from the inverter to the CB panel in my coach. If I could easily access the inverters and those wires that would not be a big deal, but I cannot. They are difficult to access and would involve quite a bit of work.

So I am going to go to the trouble of preparing for an inverter failure by installing by-pass switches. I may never need them, but if an inverter should ever fail all I will have to do is flick the switches and start the generator or be connected to shore power.

I will document what I am doing, take photos, and if there is sufficient need I will have an article posted on this site.

My question is this....how many of you have coaches that do not provide an automatic inverter by-pass in the event of an inverter failure? If you have any doubt turn off power to your inverter while the generator is running or you are connected to shore power to see if power does get to all circuits.

This issue is no big deal if you can easily access the wires into and out of the inverter. All you need to do is connect the two sets of wires until you can restore the inverter to working condition. But for those of us whose inverters and their wires are difficult to access (or who do not feel like doing electrical work while on the road) by-pass switches will make an on-road failure a less difficult situation.

Those responding to my question please list the year of your coach and the converter so we all can get a sense of the scope of the situation.