Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency exit while on fire.

Why not put some additional one in the bedroom and kitchen, plus one in the front bay and leave the big one back by the engine to fight an engine fire.
    GregM

Quote Originally Posted by jimshoen View Post
    Three CO monitors.
    One in the galley installed by convertor and a new one replaced it two years ago.
    Plus one in Stateroom and another in Dinette area both of which are CO Experts low level monitors good for 5 years.
    Thanks Jim - makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcbuffalo View Post
    Why not put some additional one in the bedroom and kitchen, plus one in the front bay and leave the big one back by the engine to fight an engine fire.
    GregM
    Greg, I do have 2 smaller units inside the bus. Like you suggested I have one in the bedroom closet, and one behind the drivers seat.

But I can't get to the big one in its current location if I have an engine fire, that is why I questioned hanging it somewhere in the first bay?

Gary S.

Our smallest extingusher knocked the flames down in the engine area almost immediately.

What I hadn't anticipated was that the instense heat of the metal on the clutch of the AC compressor would re-ignite the freon escaping past the seal. It took a lot of water to cool things down so nothing would re-ignite.

Apart from freon from the AC system there were other fuels for the fire. Battery cases were plastic. They were on fire. As bad as they were burned and melted the battery cables with their insulation burned away continued to arc.

The hose from the oil reservoir sight tube (a small diameter plastic tube) melted or burned away and oil was also dripping on hot steel.

The fibreglass tail light housing assembly had ignited and it was burning along with the back side of the fibreglass cap lower portion. It was dripping melted plastic. The fire traveled internally for a while with the insulation from the wire bundles being the fuel.

The most surprising thing was the air cleaner (inside the large housing) was on fire. I had to remove six screws to get it out so we could extinguish it.

Water........lots of it .........was the key.

The fire department showed up about 20 minutes after the fire was out and they chastised me for using water. Maybe in their world with plenty of options water would have been a poor choice, or maybe they aren't as motivated to save my property as I was.

You may not have power to pump water so be prepared to get if from the tank drain. The heat was so intense I got a burn on my hand unhitching the tow bar so I could get the Jeep backed out of the way after we had the fire under control. The tow bar was outside the bumper away from the fire but it still got hot.

If in doubt let it burn.

lewpopp Guest

Gary, do you clean your Joey Bed out and clean it up after each trip? Or do you keep empty for contraband?

Do you smuggle aliens across the border? Come on, what's the story.

Quote Originally Posted by lewpopp View Post
    Gary, do you clean your Joey Bed out and clean it up after each trip? Or do you keep empty for contraband? Do you smuggle aliens across the border? Come on, what's the story.
    Lew, I forgot to mention, that picture was before I bought the bus. It looks a lot different now, Not so clean or Empty.

Gary S.