Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H3 front cap leak. I think

Default H3 front cap leak. I think

Have been chasing a leak above the passengers side trapezoid window for over a year. I have removed some of the interior side panels and see a small drip coming from a L shape stainless steel bracket that is part of the Prevost frame and is ABOVE the out side drip rail.
    Over a year period I have removed everything from the front cap and dugout the seams on the front cap and resealed everything. The leak is coming from above the window and above the rivets that are a part of the window frames, as noted also above the exterior drip rail. The only thing I can not completely get to to seal is the back side of the awning mount, which through a process of Elimination must be my leak. Has anyone ever taken the outside awning off the side of the coach? Not sure how to unbolt it let alone deal with removing it (imagine it’s very heavy).

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Chuck the drip rail that runs the top where it is split at the front cap, a pretty big gap, to where it begins again on the front cap. Fill in that gap completely. That's where it got in on the H I'm trying to seal up. Get the water to continue forward instead of draining down into the gap.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe:
    Been there, done that, still leaks
    I have lost track of how many tubes of sealant I have used so far. Don't know if my hair is getting grayer from age or this darn leak. LOL
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

20200716_073343.jpg

Ok. And both gaps at either side of that window. The rear gap now channels water all the way forward to the end of the rail bridging both gaps and they r big almost 1/4in. Another thing we did be it correct or not is, at the top that lowest gold strip, right above that prevo leaves a 1/4 in gap across there. We filled it and sealed that off too. I think if the seal on the top of the window itself is dried out allowing water in that void is a leak short of replacing that trapezoid window.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20200716_073555.jpg

20200716_073601.jpg

Here is another leak, leaks. This is the ceiling of the bay at the door looking out.. 97 H3 45 non slide. All the bay doors close very tightly and all the rubber seals r mint.

This bus is stored outside. Every frigging time it rains the bay doors have to be opened and the bays dried out. Not minor but major water.

Look where the water is coming from u can see obvious stains. Its getting in from behind and above. The photo is dark there is a boatload of rust in there uniformly all the way across.. Someone want to shed a little light on this please.

20200716_075141.jpg

20200716_075238.jpg

I think all these factory gaps r suspect and what harm would it do to go around and fill them all. Is that just plane dumb or what. What sealer. Pick yer poison get the color match it won't even be noticable. This issue has completely rotted the bases of the cabinets in the bays and the floors can't be any different. The water is coming in from behind the fiberglass panel above the bays below the windows. Im thinking this is not an isolated occurrence but thats just a guess. This should never be on a vehicle of this caliber.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-16-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe,

I have been told that if the seals on the bay doors are cracked on the upper corners of the rubber seal, water will enter the seal... The water will run down the inside of the seal and exit at the bottom of the seal giving you a we bay floor. I sealed my corners up and stopped the leak.

David

Dave that don't explain the rust top of the opening on the back side. If it were the seal on the door the water would have to go around and up 2 or 3 inches. I think the Water is getting behind the side panel above the doors below the windows it runs the length of the bus.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I've got what might be some bad news. If the horizontal transition at the top of the side is removable, you may have to remove it. Sometimes the sealant that is holding the side panel on loses adhesion. I had this problem with the upper side panel between my slides. In my case that cap was glued on with what seemed like a 2 part epoxy. Whatever it was it was a major PITA to remove. In my case I've been leak free for well over a year.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

R u saying that what was a bay leak was fixed by sealing the piece thats way up where the side meets the roof?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens