Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Satellite System

Default Tracking Satellite System

Hello,
    I am wanting to install a tracking satellite system in my coach. Visiting with my RV installer he recommends the KVH system. His reasoning is it was developed for the Marine Industry and has the best recording of keeping up with signal.
    This system is $2100 ish versus a Weingard at $1100.00 ish. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    He also said Dish is the way to go as Direct TV does not have High Def Signals and Direct TV when it changes over to High Def all the existing units will have to be replaced.
    Thoughts?
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight XL

I would wait another year for Starlink to be more widely deployed and have everything in one unit.

To watch TV on the go use an iPad and pre-download a NetFlix movie in the meantime.

Yes, KVH is a much better built and more reliable product and it's reflected in its price. There's no way I'd spend that money on a system designed for DirecTV. Both because of the lack of HD support and the uncertainty as to what AT&T is going to do when it shuts down its SD broadcast. DirecTV's customer service is, well, let me just say it is not customer service. Make sure it can be used on DISH if you go DirecTV. If you can get a KVH RV1 for $2,100 you are doing good. The terminal, not installed, is closer to $2,400 - $2,600.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

David I have a TV you can borrow :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Billy,

I love all the shows on ME TV. Your loaner will be perfect....I will feel like I did when I was a kid..

Another thing to consider is going to streaming. It is a little complicated to get a setup that includes an external antenna, router, and bus WiFi but once that is done it is very simple to use streaming devices like a FireStick or smart TV apps to receive all your programming. Streaming is seen as the way things are going, replacing traditional broadcast TV. While some will see this as an "early adopter" method, it is in reality very established.

Check to see if there is a "technology store" in your area that can advise you on an acceptable installation. There are dedicated websites that will keep you abreast of current providers and methods that will reduce your monthly costs.

Frequently we will not even carry our Dish Hopper and Joey with us, leaving them connected at home. We then can use the Dish Anywhere app in the bus to get all our home Dish channels. For music while on the road, Prime Music is really good. Netflix and Amazon Prime get a lot of use. We rarely travel in an area that does not have decent streaming coverage, but in full disclosure, we have a robust, multi-provider Cradlepoint router and roof mounted, high gain, cell antenna.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

I would also suggest you consider a streaming solution. That's all we use any longer, abandoning the high initial and monthly costs for dish based systems and a much broader source of content. Each TV has an AppleTV attached that all log into the same Apple account, so content, apps, cost are all for a single account. No More vendor lockin, watch anything you want. Tennis Channel for my wife? There's an App for that. etc, etc.
    As for the bus, Wireless throughout (except connecting the AppleTV to the TV itself is HDMI for ~2ft.) So I've been free to rip out all the old COAX cabling and mess, what a relief. There's probably 100+lbs of unneeded cabling and connectors leftover from an old bygone architecture.
    Of course you don't need to use AppleTV; FireStick, Smart TVs, etc also work, but I chose AppleTV due to the richer content and app selection, and the ease to share my laptop screen to any TV in the 'house', a great tool for work and family zoom sessions.

As for Starlink, a great idea, but a bit early and can't be used without setting up the antenna, which would need to be stowed(currently) while driving. I'm optimistic the RV industry will have a solution for that soon, but way too early for that still. The Starlink dish tracks using phased array technology so no need to physically move the dish to track, this will be awesome for being a good solution while driving down the road. I'll definitely be getting one of these when it's a viable solution for an RV. Elon are you listening?
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

David, I am miles away from this new streaming, or whatever. I can though recommend the Winegard T4 in motion receiver. I am presently on my second T4, as I sold the bus with the 1st one and use Dish network. It gets HD, you can call Dish and not be charged for it while not in use.
    If I were able to use the coach more time than I am home, I might look deeper into some of the more current gadgets. If you just want a good in motion receiver, I recommend the T4 and Dish network.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Id love to hire someone to show me whats out there and teach me how to use them.

Until they get to ZERO buffering with this new stuff ill be sticking with what I have.

When is Direct going to change over?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-11-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hello,

Regarding streaming, I have 100% gone that route at home. It is great at home as we have unlimited high speed internet to support that. The issue with streaming on the road is really impossible if you are gone for a long period of time. Campground wifi are useless for streaming. Not enough bandwidth. I currently have two different phone services (Verizon for my wife and Sprint for me). This is very helpful as one may have good service in an area and other weak, then down the road they flip.

I have hotspots for each phone, but limited to 15 to 20 gig of high speed bandwidth. When streaming at the higher speed things are great, but once the limit is used it is throttled back to a point where buffering is soooooo irritating. Yes, when not in high traffic areas and in the off season when campground is empty, you MAY not be throttled back. My hotspots are fine when we travel a few days per month, but we are planning on some 30 to 45 day trips and hotspots will not work.

Thus the the KVH 1 is going to be my choice for the next few years, Gil thanks for the recommendations and everyone I visit with says it is the way to go, although twice the cost. Regarding tracking down the road to those who asked.....NO I won't be watching, but my wife loves her reality shows and will have plenty to watch.

I do look forward in the next few years to Starlink or other companies having a good internet options. Then I will be dumping DISH forever.....glad I don't use DISH at home anymore.

Thanks
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight XL