Thread: New memebr and new owner of a "no contact" XL - Advice appreciated!

Hybrid View

Default New memebr and new owner of a "no contact" XL - Advice appreciated!

I come seeking the knowledge of the great minds that frequent this forum. I'm picking up my new (to me) Prevost XL this weekend. Purchased sight unseen at an online auction so I have no contact with the previous owner, no maintenance records, and no real world bus ownership experience lol. I know it'll be like drinking from a firehouse for a while. What are some must-look-for things, and must-check-before-driving areas I should know about. The people at Prevost were kind enough to send a pdf owner's manual, but I'm curious to get a take from some boots on the ground. Any and all help is appreciated!
    Specs:
    1996 XL 45'
    737k miles
    Series 60, Allison automatic
    New tires last year
    Fully renovated a couple years ago
    Supposedly was a conversion that ran nashville bands for a while, before the PO bought it back in 2014. I did view a video inspection of the coach, and it appears to be in order. Auctioneer and I spoke before closing, and he knows the PO personally, claims he is a stickler for maintenance and kept everything up, but didn't keep any records. He's sure the engine has been redone; there is zero blowby. I did verify this with another bidder that actually viewed the coach. Not sure about the tranny and fluids, though.
    So....what do I look for? Thanks in advance!

Make sure it airs up and do a brake test before driving it anywhere.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

So its either got OTR AC or it has 2 generators, which way is it? Who is the converter?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe:
    I know you hire out to drive coaches to and from sometimes, would you consider hiring out to assist this new owner getting his coach home? Can't think of a better person to have with you on the first time out with an unknown bus.
    Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Call me Chuck. If the logistics work out sure I will. Gill probably has logged more miles but he is probably not as willing to get as greasy as quickly as I.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-02-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

This coach is far higher in mileage than anyone with a factory motorhome conversion would ever see. That's not a bad thing, just a fact.

I don't know where the coach is, but you would benefit from at least a full chassis mechanical inspection. If you pull the logistics off with having Joe go through the chassis you would know exactly what may need replacing now or could be postponed until later.

If you can find your way to a reputable Detroit shop, you should have the engine gone through. The guys at American Fleet in Springfield, MO claim to be the largest rebuild of Series 60 engines and they know buses. They can have the engine and it's cradle out in a half day. At 750K miles, the engine may be approaching time for a rebuild if not already done.

Pull the inactive engine codes. They can tell a lot if they weren't erased. Do a DoT brake test, as already suggested. The house systems can wait until you know the chassis is safe to operate. Most entertainers were simple conversions with easily accessible systems.

If you want to call Joe or I, feel free to call.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion