Thread: Cruise Air repair or replace

Default Cruise Air repair or replace

Hello,
    I will be taking my coach to AAP in August...currently I have 3 cruise airs. My mid unit works perfectly, always cold air. My stateroom unit works well when in add Freon, but has a leak and after a week or so it not cooling. My front cools, but never gets cold even when I add Freon.
    My coach is a 1998 and I am wondering if I should have them repair or just replace the two units with new ones. I plan on keeping this coach until I am too old to drive and I am concerned with just trying to repair and having issues down the road.
    Any one have thoughts on the best direction? Does anyone know what an estimated replacement cost would be?
    Thanks
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight

Roughly 3500.00 for rebuilt and 4500.00 for new, may even be higher than that now, Fred at AAP will fix you up. Don’t wait too long, very short supply of units and compressor’s.

A leak could be anywhere including the fittings between the unit's indoor and outdoor interconnecting lines.

As for replacement with someone that intends on keeping it for a very long time, that's a tough call. The units, if factory installed, are over 20 years old. Depending how much use the coach had, those units could be approaching the end of their serviceable life. I think a new outdoor unit without the inside unit is over $4K.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Then numbers up top are pretty close. 3k refurb and 4500 new. They are currently out of both - though if you supply your existing units - they can refurb those as well. I just did all 3 of mine last week.

My worry about 'leaking' units is that the leak could be in the lines between the inside/outside units. So replacing either/both inside/outside units will not solve some leaks. Until I know exactly where the leak is, i'd be reluctant to purchase new or rebuilt units. Do the shops do anything to confirm where the leak is located before starting to replace unit(s)?
    My bedroom sucks, salon and galley are OK, AUX unit is great. Between the 4 of them I'm quite comfortable even in 100+ deg heat.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

I have 3 cruise air evaporator assemblies complete in the boxes if anyone needs one.They came out of an 01 Marathon and ill bet they will test good. They r up in the garage collecting dust.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-29-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines